We are currently working with an exciting start-up company based in Cambridge that is working on bringing to market a high-density, low-cost energy storage application. As the company continues to grow with recent funding secured, they are now seeking its next Mechanical Design Engineer to join the team on a permanent basis.
This role will see you working with cutting-edge technology - acting as the company's subject matter expert when it comes to design engineering. As Mechanical Design Engineer, you will lead design initiatives, develop prototype stacks and build test rigs to allow commercial scale-up.
Mechanical Design Engineer Responsibilities
- Leading mechanical design initiatives.
- Lead concept design, design verification testing and design refinement for mechanical components
- Identify and action routes for optimisation of prototype stack and module assemblies to achieve performance and cost targets
- Contribute to the scale up energy storage technology.
- Designing, developing, and evaluating prototype stack and module assemblies to achieve energy/cost targets.
- Designing and building test rigs, prototypes, and tooling to support verification and validation of the design solution.
- Implementing lab-based testing of components.
- Assisting in the production of demonstration systems within a pilot manufacturing process.
- Liaising effectively with scientists engaged in polymer and electrochemistry research.
Mechanical Design Engineer requirements
- Degree-level qualification in an Engineering discipline.
- Experience working in a commercial R&D environment.
- Creative design engineer with a strong mechanical engineering background.
- Sound knowledge of materials, metals, plastics, and associated manufacturing techniques.
- Experience in the detailed design of small components and complex assemblies.
- Experience in prototype design and development.
- Excellent CAD skills.
- Ability to use simulation techniques when appropriate as part of the design process.
- Ability to take ownership of design initiatives and deliver in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Willingness to be hands-on and oversee the work of technicians.
- Teamwork experience and good communication skills.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7788
- Posted: 31st August 2023
- Expires: 28th September 2023