Cranleigh STEM is working with a well-known, established food manufacturing company that specialises in the production of a range of the nation's most loved food products. We are looking for a driven, individual to lead and manage the chemistry department of this organisation, you will be based at their site in Wycombe on a permanent, full-time basis.
As the Head of Chemistry, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the company's chemistry department, leading a dynamic team ensuring the development and implementation of effective chemical processes, and quality control measures whilst delivering bespoke work for some 350-plus external customers. Your expertise will contribute to maintaining the highest standards of product safety, compliance, and innovation.
- Lead and manage the chemistry department, providing strategic direction, guidance, and support to the team.
- Develop and implement chemical processes to optimise product quality, consistency, and efficiency.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations, standards, and certifications governing food safety and quality.
- Establish and maintain effective quality control systems for raw materials, intermediate products, and finished goods.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including R&D, production, and regulatory affairs, to develop new products and improve existing ones.
- Identify and evaluate new technologies, methodologies, and equipment to enhance laboratory capabilities and efficiency.
- Monitor and analyse trends in food chemistry and regulatory requirements and incorporate them into the company's practices and strategies.
- Oversee laboratory operations, including budgeting, resource allocation, equipment maintenance, and staff training.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, and professional development within the chemistry department.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with external stakeholders, including suppliers, contractors, regulatory bodies, and research institutions.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A master's or PhD in Chemistry or a related field.
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role within a food manufacturing or related industry.
- In-depth knowledge of food chemistry, food safety, and quality control practices.
- Strong understanding of relevant regulations and standards (e.g., HACCP, GMP, ISO, FDA, FSSC 22000).
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leading a team of chemists and technicians.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to develop and implement innovative processes and techniques.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in laboratory techniques, instrumentation, and software applications relevant to food chemistry.
Salary: £. Competitive (DOE)
Benefits: Annual bonus, 25 days holiday + banks, car allowance, company pension, private healthcare, life assurance, access to additional training courses, employee discount scheme, employee assistance programme, parental leave schemes
Location: Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Role: Full-time, permanent
Cranleigh STEM & Sustainability is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating, and valuing diversity, and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employment agency, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7745
- Posted: 25th May 2023
- Expires: 22nd June 2023