A venture-backed biotechnology company has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Protein Engineer to join its team. As Senior Protein Engineer you will be immobilising enzymes for cell-free biocatalysis and looking to improve catalyst performance through protein design, DNA design, cloning, protein expression, enzymatic assays and general biochemical methods.
Your day-to-day may involve enzyme design, cloning, protein expression, enzyme characterisation using assays and general biochemical methods, project management and leading others.
Senior Protein Scientist responsibilities
- Perform and troubleshoot experiments independently, supporting others to do the same.
- Design DNA constructs for cloning and expression of recombinant enzymes.
- Lead protein expression across a range of scales (1mL microwell - 500mL shake flasks).
- Characterise enzymes and proteins using established biochemical and/or enzymatic assays, participating in the assay development process where needed.
- Generate quantitative scientific data that is accurate and precise.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all SOPs internal/external reports at a high standard.
Senior Protein Scientist requirements
- Degree level qualification (ideally PhD) in a biological discipline or closely related.
- Experience in microbial enzyme expression and characterisation in industry or as a Postdoc.
- Experience with traditional and/or scarless DNA cloning methods.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression in E. coli and troubleshooting difficult expressions (yield, toxicity, solubility issues).
- Comfortable executing enzymatic assays and interpreting their results.
- Experience with basic bioinformatics tools for the analysis of protein sequences and structure (BLAST searches, multiple sequence alignment, Pymol).
- Experience leading projects and small teams with multiple stakeholders and scientists.
£50k-£60k + excellent company benefits inc. share plan, development budget and enhanced leave.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7725
- Posted: 15th May 2023
- Expires: 12th June 2023