We are working with an exciting sustainability start-up currently in 'stealth mode'. They are seeking an experienced Synthetic Biologist to join the team. You should possess extensive experience working with the design and build of complex, combinatorial gene libraries and metabolic pathways. Experience of high-throughput techniques, next-generation assembly techniques, and metabolic engineering is preferred. Any experience of automation and robotic techniques would be highly beneficial.
Their mission is to move the world to sustainable molecules produced by engineered biology. Their processes span two world-changing technologies, integrating synthetic biology and machine learning to streamline R&D and increase success.
This is an excellent opportunity to lead the development of high-impact strain engineering processes in a role that will report directly to the CSO.
- Benchmarking the next generation of the synthetic biology pipeline modules by increasing the complexity of company next-generation DNA assembly processes.
- Optimising company automated, high-throughput synthetic biology assemblies to increase output and maximise the sampling of the combinatorial space.
- Application of strong expertise in analysis of large biological data sets.
- Building novel pathways to valuable chemical products using company next generation pipeline
High-throughput molecular biology
- Driving company automation pipeline to generate and screen 1000s of prototype strains
- Benchmarking high-throughput screens to increase speed, throughput an accuracy of data collection
- Development and integration of high-throughput analytics techniques and preparations including, next generation sequencing, omics prep and DNA/metabolite purification steps
- Working with the computational team to integrate the automation steps with computational tools to enable monitoring and experiment tracking
People & project management
- Developing technical and business risk profiles for future product pipelines. This is a great opportunity to apply scientific knowledge to analyse and then drive economic value.
- Project owner - will be responsible for key aspects of projects, which can include specific business needs and figuring out the right solutions and techniques to address them
- Training and oversight of junior synthetic biology team members
- Ability to integrate closely with a highly innovative data-science and machine-learning team to build and analyse large data sets
- Presenting and depicting the rationale of findings in simple, engaging and easy to understand business terms to a diverse group of co-workers and clients.
Your core skills & qualifications:
- A PhD in a relevant molecular biology-related field
- Extensive experience in molecular biology techniques, particularly when applied to coli.
- In-depth experience of next-generation DNA assembly techniques, combinatorial assemblies and/or high-throughput molecular biology
- Experience in building metabolic pathways to a variety of model and non-model organisms
- A working understanding of robotic liquid handling for molecular biology
Additional 'plus' skills and experience:
- 3+ years experience post-PhD, either in industry or academia
- Experience across industry, academia and/or a start-up environment would be beneficial
- Experience developing business cases would be beneficial in building new products for company portfolio and demonstrating their potential value
- Experience in next-generation sequencing techniques would be beneficial
- Experience in designing and building complex robotic control processes and their application to high-throughput molecular biology design-build-test cycles
- Passionate about the climate and how technology can help mitigate its loss
- Excited by a fast-paced highly rewarding culture
- Drive to recognise problems and generate solutions to problems large and small
- Strong evidence of communication skills including the ability to describe complex data and ideas to a variety of business- and subject-matter experts
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7612
- Posted: 16th March 2023
- Expires: 13th April 2023