PhD Research Chemist required, based in Cheshire West. Requiring a PhD in Chemistry, with a significant focus and interest in organic synthesis. Post-doc OR industrial experience of organic synthesis at lab scale advantageous.
Title: PhD Research Chemist
Location: Cheshire West
Salary: £33,000 - £36,000 per annum + benefits
SRG is working with a well-respected, global company who develop a wide range of speciality chemicals and additives. With a genuine drive for innovation, they are now looking for a PhD Research Chemist to join their R&D hub, working on a varied projects to produce functional chemical compounds for application in downstream industries. Using current literature and trends, you will devise synthetic experiments to develop new products in the lab, optimising viable candidate compounds for commercialisation. This would be an excellent opportunity for a PhD-qualified Chemist who has strong practical knowledge of organic synthesis. A creative mind set and the flexibility to work on a variety of projects is key.
Benefits: Multinational chemicals business with a strong focus on innovation and a vibrant community of R&D scientists. 37.5 working hours, Monday to Friday with flexible start and finish times. 25 days holiday + 8 bank holidays. Excellent pension scheme, private healthcare and generous annual bonus scheme.
Role / Description
- Devising & managing projects to develop new functional chemical compounds via synthetic methods
- Designing & carrying out lab-based experiments, synthesis & characterisation of new products
- Using analytical skills including NMR, Mass Spec, IR & crystallisation for characterisation
- Working closely with Applications Chemists to establish test methods, to evaluate viability & performance of compounds in market formulations
- Interpreting analysis results & reporting on findings
- Using literature, market trends & industry conferences to inform development of synthetic routes & reaction mechanisms
- Maintaining an awareness of product development & trends in specific industry and project areas
- Liaising with other internal R&D teams to share information, collaborate & contribute to parallel or long term R&D projects.
- Minimum PhD in Chemistry - must have significant focus on organic synthetic chemistry
- Able to use creative synthetic techniques to produce new functional compounds
- Post-doc or industrial experience in organic synthesis considered advantageous but not essential
- Inquisitive and lateral thinking
- Good communication and problem-solving skills
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Raffa on 0161 888 2517.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.comto view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: Research Chemist, PhD, chemistry, chemist, synthesis, organic synthesis, functional compounds, functional additives, chemicals, research chemist, speciality, synthetic, reaction, characterisation, laboratory, research, development, project, thesis, doctorate, post-doctorate, experiment
Carbon60, Lorien & SRG - The Impellam Group STEM Portfolio are acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: BBBH123776
- Posted: 14th March 2023
- Expires: 11th April 2023