An established food manufacturer has an opportunity for a Process Engineer to join its team on a 1 year contract. Your role will be to develop and improve products and processes with special responsibility for those involving extractions and distillations. You must have a degree in Chemical Engineering or similar, coupled with industrial experience in a production or manufacturing environment.
Due to the location of this site, you must have your own transport to get to and from work.
New product development, technical support and training
- New product and process development, either speculative or against customer projects with special emphasis on processes involving extraction and distillation technologies.
- Managing development projects to create commercially viable products against a brief, using project management tools and techniques to deliver the project to timescales required.
- Managing product and process trials in a systematic and logical way to evaluate operating parameters.
- Liaising with QC laboratory and stills operator to resolve any problems that might arise e.g. out of specification products and changes in procedures.
- Scale-up and monitoring of production of new products at pilot plant level as required and assist in the technology transfer to Production.
- Providing technical support to the Production Department, ensuring processes are operating in an optimal way and that products are made to specification.
- Provide training, guidance and support to team members and Production staff on equipment and processes where required.
- Work with the Production and Engineering departments to specify new and replacement equipment where needed and support with commissioning of equipment.
- Management of laboratory, implementing and managing laboratory procedures to ensure compliance with hygiene to GMP standards.
Maintaining accurate records and documentation
- Identifying the need for, writing and implementing manufacturing procedures and process control procedures in conjunction with the Quality Assurance and Production groups.
- Record and collate data collected from all laboratory trials, factory- based trials and studies.
- Report findings and recommendations to stakeholders.
Investigation of customer complaints and non-conformances
- Assist Quality Assurance in the investigation of customer complaints, non-conformances, production manufacturing problems and optimisation of existing production processes.
Improvement Activity and Projects
- Highlight required areas for improvement and liaise with other Department members to allow completion against set timescales.
- Support Company goals by involvement within area improvement teams.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Chemical Engineering degree and relevant experience in a production environment -ideally at least 3 years' experience.
- Good understanding of distillation, extraction and fluid dynamics.
- Demonstrable project management skills; able to break a project down into tasks, understand dependencies, consider timings and manage the project to time.
- This person will need to be able to operate effectively with minimal supervision; take the initiative and have the confidence to work independently, while keeping the line manager informed.
- Problem solving skills - working in collaboration with others, using others' experience and knowledge; consider the options and the pro and cons of each, assess the best options and be able to make clear, justified recommendations.
- Excellent data analysis and numerical skills.
- Good team player within the team and cross functionally, with good communication and influencing skills.
- Demonstrable motivational and coaching skills with the ability to write instructions and train key members of staff on processes.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7544
- Posted: 18th January 2023
- Expires: 15th February 2023