A highly innovative start-up business operating within the energy storage market is currently recruiting for a Senior R&D Scientist to join its R&D team, based in Central London. As Senior R&D Scientist, you will take ownership of projects - designing, planning, and conducting experiments to evaluate the electrochemical performance of the company's fuel cell technology.
This role would suit a PhD qualified Materials Scientist/Chemist, possessing either academic or industrial R&D experience - working on next-generation cell components (electrodes, catalysts, membranes, electrolytes).
Senior R&D Scientist responsibilities
- Design, plan and conduct experiments to evaluate the electrochemical performance of fuel cell technology.
- Working collaboratively with the R&D team to develop and test the next generation of cell components (porous electrodes, catalyst-coated electrodes, membranes, electrolyte, etc.).
- Develop methods to identify failure modes and optimise strategies to minimise degradation.
- Report on progress and findings both internally and to partners/collaborators.
- Act as a subject matter expert for electrochemical testing with suppliers, partners and with other internal functions.
- Work with external experts in the field to develop knowledge in various characterisation methodologies and diagnostic tools.
Senior R&D Scientist requirements
- PhD qualification in Materials Science, Chemistry or Electrochemistry.
- Proven experience operating within an R&D laboratory - this can be post-doctoral research or industrial exposure.
- Strong track record researching in energy storage applications such as redox flow batteries, PEM fuel cells, AEM fuel cells, PEM electrolysers or other relevant electrochemical technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in electrochemical analyses (membrane electrode assembly tests, cyclic voltammetry, EIS, three-electrodes configuration, etc.).
- Experience in post-mortem analysis of various PEM fuel cell MEAs components (membrane, diffusion layer, catalyst, etc) or equivalent electrochemical structures through physico-chemical methods (SEM, X-ray based methods, etc.).
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge of English
- Ability to work well under strict time constraints.
Senior R&D Scientist/Energy Storage/PEM/Fuel Cells/Chemistry/Materials Science
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7598
- Posted: 12th January 2023
- Expires: 9th February 2023