An exciting opportunity has arisen for a senior scientist to join one of the UK's leading clean energy businesses specialising in fuel cell technologies, a combustion-free power generator that produces an electrical current from a chemical reaction. This technology can be applied to electric vehicles, commercial heating systems and distributed power generators.
As a scientist within this business, you will play a key role in supporting the development of novel cell stack designs with a detailed understanding of SOC technology materials, processing, and design function. Evaluate technical risks associated with the changes; propose and plan mitigation activities. In addition, work with the SOC development team to continue to generate novel IP around the cell design.
To be considered for this role you should ideally hold a PhD in fuel cell technology, SOC, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a closely related field and possess experience in SOC development from an academic or commercial environment.
Senior Scientist Key Responsibilities:
- Acting as a technical lead in Work Packages in cross-functional project teams.
- Regular contact for training, development, and quality assessment with the Process Team Lead.
- Regular progress reporting to the project technical and program management team.
- Working closely with internal technical experts across departments and with external collaborators.
- Part of the Energy Materials Department responsible for core technology innovation and understanding.
Senior Scientist Skills and Requirements:
- Hold a PhD or MSc in fuel cell technology, SOC, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a closely related field
- Possess experience in SOC development from a commercial environment.
- Scientific knowledge and understanding of functional ceramic materials and processing, SOC design, optimisation, and failure mechanisms.
- Understanding and experience with electrochemical testing relevant to SOC technology.
- Understanding and experience with common materials characterisation techniques including SEM with EDS/WDX, XRD, ACIS/EIS.
- Experience in delivering technical projects to tight deadlines.
Salary: £. Competitive
Benefits: Pension scheme: auto-enrolment at 2% by the employee and 6% by the company (with an option to increase this to 3% and 8% respectively), Annual Leave: 25 days per annum + Banks, Life Assurance: 4 x gross salary
Hours: 37½ per week. Generally, employees work 7½ hours a day around our core hours of 9.30am -4.30pm
Role: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Horsham, West Sussex
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7567
- Posted: 16th November 2022
- Expires: 14th December 2022