An exciting opportunity has arisen for a senior scientist to join one of the UK's leading clean energy businesses specialising in fuel cell technologies, a combustion-free power generator that produces an electrical current from a chemical reaction. This technology can be applied to electric vehicles, commercial heating systems and distributed power generators.
As a scientist within this business, you will play a key role in leading and developing innovative thin film-related chemistry, materials processing, and deposition technology development to advance our clients' cutting-edge energy materials development and processing, thereby supporting the development of metal-supported solid oxide cells (SOC).
This position requires a scientist with world-class expertise in thin film technologies and solid experience in industries related to thin film-based products. This unique position is for individuals who want to be challenged, have a passion for success, and have a constant drive to exceed expectations.
To be considered for this role you should ideally hold a PhD in materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or a closely related field and possess experience in thin film technology development.
Scientist Key Responsibilities:
- Lead technical expertise for the team for thin film-based chemistry, processing, deposition, and characterisation for SOC technologies from concept to product launch.
- Actively participate and provide scientific and technical expertise by delivering improved materials processes for thin film deposition, thin film solution, and materials characterisation required to meet project technical objectives within agreed timescales.
- Work as a part of the team that will manufacture prototype levels of the next generation SOC technology and product.
- Complete background research into innovative materials processing routes and create strategies for development.
- Create, implement, and support strategies to characterise the performance and stability of the materials' features.
- Trouble-shoot, providing solutions to technical challenges faced in projects.
Scientist Skills and Requirements:
- Hold a PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Possess experience in thin film technology development.
- Having experience with solution chemistry and organometallics is a plus
- Experience with manufacturing processes: jetting, screen printing, PVD, solution formulation and manufacturing processes, other thin film deposition processes, and ceramic sintering.
- Experience with ink and thin film characterisation tools
- Experience with some of the following materials characterisation techniques: SEM with EDS/WDX, XRD, PSD, STA/DTA, BET, dilatometry, FIB-SEM, XRF, ACIS/EIS, electrochemical testing, indentation and mechanical properties testing, 3D tomography, SIMS, ICP-MS.
Salary: £40,000 - £60,000
Benefits: Pension scheme: auto-enrolment at 2% by the employee and 6% by the company (with an option to increase this to 3% and 8% respectively), Annual Leave: 25 days per annum + Banks, Life Assurance: 4 x gross salary
Hours: 37½ per week. Generally, employees work 7½ hours a day around our core hours of 9.30am -4.30pm
Role: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Horsham, West Sussex
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 8476
- Posted: 16th September 2022
- Expires: 14th October 2022