A fast-growth biotech startup has an exciting opportunity for an Automation Engineer to join its team. You will be enable the team to automate essential enzyme assays and other workflows to help meet company goals. You will not be limited to just the design and execution of manual workflows to automated workflows but will also be contributing to generating ideas and better ways of doing automated science. To be considered you must have previous automation experience and be a competent user of the Hamilton STAR liquid handler.
Summary of the role
You will be bringing your automation capabilities to a team of high performing interdisciplinary scientists on a mission to transform industrial chemical processes using cell-free biomanufacturing. You will be enable the team to automate essential enzyme assays and other workflows to help edge us closer to our goals. Through automation, you will impact the robustness and quality of our scientific work for everybody - whilst simultaneously helping us on our FAIR data journey. You will not be limited to just the design and execution of manual workflows to automated workflows but will also be contributing to generating ideas and better ways of doing automated science, through to implementing them at the company where they make sense. You will join us on a journey to help unlock the future of biocatalysis through automation and enabling others to do the same.
What you'll do in this role
- Capture automation protocol specification from team members in an effective way that allows for 100% knowledge transfer to allow for effective protocol development.
- In times of high demand, operate the robot independently full time to enable the wider team to fulfill their work
- Advise and guide team members to build manual protocols with automation in mind to allow for protocol transfer in the future.
- Future-proof automated protocols by considering their pragmatic permutations and implementing them ahead of time whilst balancing time constraints.
- Train team members to execute liquid handling protocols developed by yourself and colleagues in a safe and efficient way, sharing know-how and providing SOPs.
- Contributes towards roadmaps and business cases for automation requirements to satisfy business goals with in-house automation and technical experts.
- Enables automation of non-critical path work by going above and beyond to deliver results for the wider team where feasible.
- Automation experience gained in an industry
- Competent user of the Hamilton STAR liquid
- Experience transferring protocols for which you may have little direct experience
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 74811
- Posted: 7th September 2022
- Expires: 5th October 2022