PhD Genetic Engineer required, based in Cheshire. Requiring a PhD in Molecular Biology, Synthetic Biology, Bioengineering, Biotechnology, Genetics or similar, + experience with molecular biology tools, genetic manipulation of microbes and/or DNA sequencing
PhD Genetic Engineer
Salary: Circa £35,000 per annum
SRG is working with an innovative company who specialise in the creation of speciality chemicals for a range of markets. They have recently established a brand-new biotechnology research hub and are now looking for a PhD Genetic Engineer to lead work in developing new strains of microbes which will function as biocatalysts. You will use a variety of molecular biology and bioinformatic tools to engineer new metabolic pathways, with the goal of producing microbial strains with enhanced fermentation productivity and desired product yield. This would be a fantastic opportunity for a PhD-qualified Scientist to lead research in synthetic biology and genetic engineering with real commercial and industrially relevant outcomes.
Benefits: A research-led role in a highly-respected, multi-national company, with mentoring from a subject matter expert. Brand-new, purpose-built, state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and equipment. 37.5 hours, Mon-Fri, flexible working hours. Excellent company pension and bonus potential, private healthcare and 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory bank holidays.
Role / Description
- Developing targeted evolution methods to increase key enzyme performance in biosynthesis to enhance production of desired fermentation products
- Carrying out genetic manipulation of microbial candidates and biosynthetic pathway design and engineering
- Developing a genetic tool-kit for host microbial strains which allows for gene insertions and deletion/knockout and stable plasmids, if needed
- Evaluation of synthetic biocatalysts in micro- and shake flask fermentations
- Scaling up candidate strain fermentations, in collaboration with Microbiologists
- Preserving engineered biocatalysts using lyophilization and cryogenic methods
- Using modern molecular biology tools, including homologous recombination, CRISPR, conjugation, electroporation, vector-mediated transformation, gene splicing, DNA sequencing, PCR
- PhD in Microbial Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Synthetic Biology, Molecular Biology or similar
- Proven experience (academic, post-doc or industrial) in the use of modern molecular biology and/or genetic engineering tools and methods (named above)
- Practical knowledge of directed evolution methods to improve metabolic function of enzymes or pathway flux
- Experience using bioinformatic programs associated with genetic engineering and pathway flux optimisation (e.g. Omics mining or similar)
- Good analytical chemistry skills for quantification and characterisation of metabolites
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to email@example.com For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Jack on 0161 888 2557. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: transgenic, genetic engineering, genetic manipulation, biotechnology, microbial, genetics, bioengineering, bioprocess, enzyme, fermentation, biofermentation, biosynthesis, biocatalyst, synthetic biology, molecular biology, geneticist, bioengineer, CRISPR
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J2166121
- Posted: 27th July 2022
- Expires: 24th August 2022