Research Microbiologist required, based in Cheshire. Requiring a PhD or MSc in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar, with a strong background in fermentation and microbial strain evolution.
Salary: Circa £35,000 per annum
SRG is working with an innovative company who specialise in the creation of speciality chemicals for a range of markets. They have recently established a brand-new division focusing on the production of new compounds via microbial fermentation and are looking for a Research Microbiologist to lead this work. The role will involve screening and selection of microbial strains to undergo directed evolution and ultimately scaling up to large scale fermentation to produce strains at industrial scale. This would be a brilliant role for a PhD or MSc-qualified Scientist, with a background in Microbiology, Biotechnology or Bioengineering and academic or industrial experience in fermentation, cell cultivation or similar.
Benefits: A research-led role in a highly-respected, multi-national company, with mentoring from a subject matter expert. Brand-new, purpose-built, state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and equipment. 37.5 hours, Mon-Fri, flexible working hours. Excellent company pension and bonus potential, private healthcare and 25 days holiday plus 8 statutory bank holidays.
Role / Description
- Screening and selecting bacteria and fungi to cultivate certain strains through directed, non-mutagenic evolution using random mutagenesis protocols
- Advancing wild-type or novel isolates with the goal of increasing fermentation productivity and yield of desired metabolites
- Working with equipment from mini-fermenters up to 10L tank fermenters to evaluate and screen microbial strains
- Optimising the fermentation process using Design of Experiment (DoE) and Response Surface Methodology with shake-flask fermentations
- Validating strain performance and generating metabolite products for functional characteristic testing
- Preserving strains through lyophilization, cataloguing and maintaining the microbial strain library
- Conducting PCR to identify single colony isolates and determine strain purity
- Carrying out routine microbiological QC testing and basic chemical analysis of metabolite produced by microbial strains
- PhD in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Microbial Genetics, Bioengineering or similar (MSc- qualified candidates with relevant research/project focus will be considered.)
- Proven experience (academic, post-doc or industrial) of microbial fermentation, cultivation directed evolution, and/or random mutagenesis
- Strong practical skills in microbiology, culturing techniques and quantitative microbiological methods
- Good analytical chemistry skills for quantification and characterisation of metabolites
- Working knowledge of D.O.E. or associated statistical techniques is advantageous, not essential
- Experience with bioinformatics software, e.g. BLAST, jPHYDIT, Phyloscan or MG-RAST advantageous but not essential
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Jack on 0161 888 2557. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: biotechnology, microbiology, microbiological, microbial, genetics, bioengineering, bioprocess, metabolite, fermentation, biofermentation, fermenter, bioreactor, bacteria, fungi, yeast, microbe, non-mutagenic, directed evolution, strain, PhD, doctorate, post-doctorate, Ph.D, MPhil, MSc, Master
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J2166119
- Posted: 27th July 2022
- Expires: 24th August 2022