R&D Manager required, based in Merseyside. Requiring proven industrial experience in the development and commercialisation in elastomers, polyurethane or carbon fibre technology.
Salary: £60,000 - £65,000 per annum (negotiable depending on experience)
SRG is working with a world-leading manufacturer of high-performance materials who supply to global markets. As part of their succession planning, they are now looking to hire an R&D Manager to lead the development programme for the business, managing a team of 6 and driving projects towards the next generation of materials and applications. This role will be a key senior position, reporting directly to the MD, with a view to progress into the company's Executive team in the short to medium term. This will require a combination of good technical knowledge and commercial acumen, particularly in turning new products into commercial business. The role would be suited to a degree-qualified scientist, with excellent business sense, leadership skills and strong knowledge and experience in materials development - namely rubber, latex, polyurethane, carbon fibre or similar.
Benefits: Senior role, with excellent prospects for progression and opportunities to innovate, invent and take the business beyond the standard portfolio. International travel to Europe, Asia and North America. Site-based role with some WFH flexibility: 37.5 working hours per week, 8.30am - 5.00pm, Mon to Fri. 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days, private medical insurance, employer pension contribution up to 8%. Generous non-contractual bonus scheme.
- Directing and contributing to R&D through invention, optimisation and experimentation
- Managing and developing a team of 6 experienced technologists and technicians working across multiple projects
- Developing and modifying processes to meet demands of applications
- Liaising directly with customers to analyse, understand and interpret specific and unspoken needs
- Advising on product capabilities, offer solutions/alternatives and demonstrate technical expertise
- Scoping out new projects, including timeline, workload, costing, capability, manufacturability
- Evaluating new projects for attractiveness to potential customers and contribution to business performance
- Establishing the R&D strategy for diversifying future products and applications
- Exploring and identifying new/alternative materials and suppliers for improved performance, lower cost, etc.
- Using technical expertise to support and advise the R&D team
- Proven industrial experience in development of elastomers (rubber, latex), composites, polyurethane or carbon fibre materials technology
- Degree-qualified (Honours) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Polymer Science or Physics
- Strong scientific background and knowledge of materials properties and mechanisms (fatigue, creep, stress, flex, adhesion, modulus)
- Good understanding of business management, able to contribute to strategy and direction in the mid-long term
- Demonstrated track record of positive effects on P&L, bring through new products to market
- People management experience or demonstrable leadership skills
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.comto view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: chemistry, materials, polymer, physics, development, develop, R&D, research & development, formulate, formulation, business, commercialisation, elastomer, rubber, latex, silicone, fibre, polyurethane, urethane, polymer, composite, adhesive, thermoplastic, carbon fibre, graphite fibre
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J2163916
- Posted: 20th July 2022
- Expires: 17th August 2022