A specialist biotech company has an exciting opportunity for a Head of Antibody Discovery to join its team. This is a senior appointment where you'll be responsible for leading and directing a multi-disciplinary group of lab scientists to deliver innovative biotherapeutic solution for animal health. You must have a significant experience working in protein discovery, coupled with extensive programme leadership experience.
You'll be responsible for leading and directing a multi-disciplinary group of lab scientists to deliver innovative biotherapeutic solution for animal health. You'll be working interactively with a talented team of lab scientists, data scientists, translational and manufacturing experts, to deliver our ambitious internal and partnered programmes. You'll bring significant experience of protein therapeutic discovery and development with a particular focus on antibody discovery.
An ability to think creatively to develop solutions for complex protein engineering and antibody discovery problems in this space. Having an entrepreneurial mind-set is encouraged with an enthusiasm to identify novel opportunities and to seize the initiative to make things happen.
- Lead antibody discovery, cell biology and protein engineering efforts, designing the next generation of biotherapeutic multi-specific drugs.
- To assist with the coordination and oversight of cross-functional activities to support the Company portfolio of research and development programmes.
- Work with lab scientists, translational sciences and the veterinary clinical team
- Grow a scientific team to design and implement cutting edge antibody discovery and engineering solutions.
- Work with our computational science team and project teams to continually develop capabilities for protein engineering.
- Develop a innovation driven antibody discovery team able to deliver cutting edge biotherapeutics for partners and the internal portfolio.
- Work closely with the cell-based assay teams to align on strategies for downstream cell based functional characterisation approaches.
- Lead, coach and mentor members of the team in cutting edge protein engineering solutions. Advocate a drug discovery mindset in project design and execution, drive and maintain high standards for data generation.
- Liaise with partners in business development interactions and provide technical expertise to the design and execution of partnered projects. Develop & maintain strong scientific and commercial relationships with Partners and Clients
- Be proactive in review of cutting edge technologies in the field to bring the next advances in protein engineering that will continuously improve our platform.
- Maintain documentation of programme and associated study activities, decisions, actions, risk assessments
- PhD in relevant sciences
- Significant experience of therapeutic protein discovery - taking molecules from design to pre-clinical studies.
- A demonstrable knowledge and technical background in antibody discovery and engineering / cell biology expertise with deep insight into development and validation of cellular assay systems across a number of platforms.
- Extensive programme leadership experience of at least 10 years within a pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO company
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to explain complex ideas to non-experts
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities within one or across different programmes
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, ambitious to embrace and seek growth opportunities
- Experience of leading and developing teams in a multi-functional environment.
- An appreciation of a start-up culture, understanding what it takes to get the job done.
- Collaborative mind-set with ability to work and share knowledge across disciplines and internal functions.
- Previous experience of working effectively within a start-up / biotech / pharma industry.
- Previous group leader management / project team leadership with demonstrated ability to effectively drive performance
- Hands-on experience with different display technologies.
- A knowledge and understanding of the use of advanced in silico and synthetic biology methodology.
- Experience of lab automation and running experiments at high throughput.
- Experience of working with multi-specific therapeutics, in particular knowledge of protein engineering of antibodies.
- Good communicator with confidence of discussing ideas and potential solutions at a senior level with partners and internal board members
- Creative thinker who enjoys discussing ideas and putting them into action.
- An inclusive team player who enjoys collaborating with people from different backgrounds.
- Somebody who wants to make a difference and transform the way biotherapeutics are discovered and developed.
- Understand the needs of the business and appreciation of the commercial needs of the business and partners.
- Work with the discovery team and senior management to seek out high value opportunities, prioritise work for others, and be able to simplify challenges for those around you.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7350
- Posted: 28th April 2022
- Expires: 26th May 2022