A growing sustainable food-tech start-up has an opportunity for a Research Technician to join its team. You will support a central lab facility which will focus on hands-on lab work with the maintenance, preparation and analysis of cells. To be considered you will have a BSc in a biology related degree or have proven experience as a lab technician.
- Maintenance of company cell stocks (isolation, culture and banking)
- Preparation of resources for team (cells, media, reagents and biomaterials)
- Running analytical processes for spent media, cells / tissue samples and quality assurance
- Bioreactor preparation & operation
- Select experimental assistance during support internal contracts
- Manufacture of meat tissue using company Bioprocesses
- Maintain accurate records for laboratory work and sample coordination using laboratory information management systems
- Report progress to manger and team as required
- Create SOPs, COSHH and other risk assessment documentation.
- Maintain and organise laboratory consumables, reagents and equipment inventory
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance (rota).
- Flag and record incidents if they occur (e.g., contamination or quality failure)
- Maintain the confidentiality of the project and protocols.
- Assist in maintaining a safe working environment by following the Health and Safety Policy, the Laboratory Code of Practice and by attending health and safety training as necessary
General ad-hoc duties as required to support the department and organisation requirements
Qualifications & experience
- BSc in in Life sciences, Biotechnology, Bioprocessing or related field
- Or two or more years' experience as a technician in industry or equivalent
- Good understanding in the principles of your discipline
- Good numeracy and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to communicate with a multi-disciplinary team
- Computer literate and ability to learn new software platforms
- Experience of record-keeping (experimental or laboratory process)
- Laboratory experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Aseptic mammalian cell culture for adherent and/or suspension cell lines.
- Molecular biology in either nucleic acid, protein, or lipid characterisation
- Analysis of nutrient or metabolite content in culture media
- Experience in tissue engineering and/or working with biomaterials
- Set-up, running and harvesting of bioreactors
- Trained in aseptic technique
- Experienced at executing SOPs independently to a high standard
- Familiarity with quality control testing
- Experienced at inventory management or sample coordination
- Knowledge and skills to operate and maintain a range of laboratory equipment
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7090
- Posted: 12th October 2021
- Expires: 9th November 2021