Development Scientist in Bioplastics required, based in North Cheshire. Requiring demonstrable experience in developing plastics/thermoplastics at a laboratory scale. Qualified to Master's level as a minimum in Chemistry, Polymer Science or similar.
Title: Development Scientist - Bioplastics
Location: North Cheshire
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000 (dependent on experience)
Do you want to be part of the plastics revolution?
SRG is working with a global chemical manufacturer who are leaders in several speciality and high-performance chemical markets. One of their key markets is the biodegradable plastics industry and with a huge investment into new R&D facilities, the business is now looking for a Development Scientist to join their Bioplastics R&D and Applications team in North Cheshire. This role will manage projects to formulate & develop new bioplastic materials, incorporating speciality biodegradable polyesters and evaluating product performance through characterisation, processing, and application testing. It would be an excellent opportunity for a Master's or PhD-qualified Scientist with a proven background in developing plastics, thermoplastics or bioplastics at laboratory scale and associated processing techniques such as extrusion, injection moulding or similar.
Benefits: A forward-thinking business focused on scientific integrity and sustainability, offering an opportunity to drive and realise R&D technical strategy in Bioplastic development. Brand new laboratory facilities, 27 days holiday, increasing with length of service, plus 8 bank holidays. 37.5 working hours, 8.30am to 4.30pm (flexible), Monday to Friday. Excellent pension scheme, private health care, annual bonus, Cycle to Work scheme.
Role / Description
- Managing projects to prepare and characterise new bioplastics formulations, incorporating speciality polyesters
- Undertaking performance testing of bioplastics to assess rheological, mechanical, and thermal properties
- Developing new, bespoke test methods for performance assessment and improving routine methods where necessary
- Optimising processing techniques for a variety of bioplastics, e.g. extrusion, injection moulding
- Developing a range of new bioplastics products with associated technical literature for customers and internal teams (marketing, sales, etc.)
- Working closely with the Technical Applications Manager to shape and plan development projects based on literature, market research and customer trends
- Supporting the Technical Applications Manager with market research and technical customer interactions
- Day to responsibility for running the Bioplastics R&D and Applications, including scheduling, H&S and lab housekeeping and maintenance
- Master's or PhD qualification in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science or similar with a good understanding in the fundamentals of polymer chemistry
- Proven experience in the development/formulation of plastics - e.g. plant-based bioplastics, biodegradable plastics, thermoplastics, packaging, film, etc.
- Practical understanding of extrusion, injection moulding or other plastic processing techniques
- Passionate about practical laboratory work with an inquisitive mind for research too
- Strong project management and communication skills, able to confidently liaise with customers and present technical reports
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively, please email a copy of your CV to email@example.com For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: plastic, bioplastic, biodegradable plastic, thermoplastic, biopolymer, BDP, polylactic acid, PLA, polyol, polyester, laboratory, development, formulation, chemist, chemistry, product development, R&D, applications, injection moulding, extrusion, chemistry, polymer science, material science, MSc, PhD
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2162105
- Posted: 28th September 2021
- Expires: 26th October 2021