Development Chemist in Coatings required, based in North Cheshire. Requiring proven experience in the development of coatings or paints at laboratory scale. Degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science or similar essential.
Title: Development Chemist - Coatings
Location: North Cheshire
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000 (dependent on experience)
SRG is working with a global chemical manufacturer who are leaders in several speciality and high-performance chemical markets. One of their key markets is the Coatings industry and, with significant growth and investment in this area, they are now looking for a Development Chemist to support their Coatings R&D and Applications team in North Cheshire. The role will involve managing projects to develop new coatings products, particularly in polyurethane, epoxy, and acrylate technology, along with future market research and provision of customer technical support. It will be a vital role in driving NPD and would be a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, degree-qualified Development Chemist with a strong background in developing coating/paint formulations or resins used in these products.
Benefits: A forward thinking business focused on scientific integrity and sustainability, offering an opportunity to really impact the coatings R&D technical strategy. Brand new laboratory facilities, 27 days holiday, increasing with length of service, plus 8 bank holidays. 37.5 working hours, 8.30am to 4.30pm (flexible), Monday to Friday. Excellent pension scheme, private health care, annual bonus, Cycle to Work scheme.
Role / Description
- Managing projects to prepare and characterise new polyurethane, epoxy, and acrylate coating formulations with polymer additives
- Undertaking physical and applications testing of coatings on various substrates to evaluate performance
- Developing new, bespoke test methods for performance assessment and improving existing methods where necessary
- Collaborating with synthetic chemists to adapt and share information for synthesis of polyol additives and characterisation of end products
- Developing a portfolio of formulations with associated technical literature for customers and internal teams (marketing, sales, etc.)
- Working closely with the Technical Applications Manager to shape and plan development projects based on market research and customer trends
- Supporting the Technical Applications Manager with market research and wider technical liaison with customers
- Day to responsibility for running the coatings development laboratory, including scheduling, H&S and lab housekeeping and maintenance
- Proven, industry-based experience in the development/formulation of coatings, paints or resins used in these products
- Degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science or similar
- Experience of chemical, physical and applications testing of coatings (or similar products)
- Specific experience in polyurethane or epoxies advantageous
- Strong project management and communication skills, able to confidently liaise with customers and present technical reports
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively, please email a copy of your CV to email@example.com For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors. As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: coating, paint, resin, polyurethane, epoxy, epoxies, acrylate, polyol, polyester, laboratory, development, formulation, chemist, chemistry, product development, R&D, applications, chemistry, polymer science, material science, BSc, MChem, MSc, PhD,
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2162104
- Posted: 28th September 2021
- Expires: 26th October 2021