An innovate young start-up business that has recently acquired a major round of investment is currently recruiting for a Product Development Manager (Food) to join its team based in Cambridge. The business focuses on a natural alternative to plastic, stemming from plant-based protein - a first of its kind in industry. As Head of Engineering, you will lead company direction on the scale-up of microcapsule products - which has a primary application to the food industry.
As Product Development Manager (Food), you will be responsible for the development of food ingredient related research projects whilst having the ability to lead projects and play as a key interface for customers/clients.
Product Development Manager responsibilities
- Screening different bio-based polymers dispersions and / or solution formulations to create food contact microcapsules, coatings, and films.
- Developing materials which could be used as a barrier against grease, moisture, and oxygen.
- Manage a growing internal team of scientists and lab assistants, as well as external service providers, to meet the company's food ingredient and product commercialisation objectives
- Ensuring food safety and compliance of the microcapsules and coatings formulations.
- Work with contract manufacturers and equipment suppliers to support the
- transfer of laboratory processes to scaled processes e.g. leading spray drying trials.
- Preparing reports on procedures tested and eliminate methods that are unsuccessful.
- Researching patents, copyrights, and trademarks in food contact material applications.
Product Development Manager requirements
- Possess a BSc level qualification in Biology, Chemistry or Food Science.
- Extensive knowledge gained within the food industry - ideally in NPD or Formulation Science.
- Expertise in (food) polymer science and formulation.
- Experience on microencapsulation, emulsions, liquid formulations, or food coatings would be beneficial but is not essential
- Working knowledge in food manufacturing and GMP's.
- Excellent understanding of processing technologies and end user applications across Food and Beverage markets.
- Excellent project management abilities.
- Keeps up to date with changes in the market and technology that would affect new product development.
- Must be a team player and possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be creative, detail-oriented and must be able to multi-task.
In return, there is a real opportunity for the successful candidate to join a progressive business who are leading the way on innovation and development of alternative plastic materials. This will be coupled with a very competitive package including company share options and rapid growth.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6954
- Posted: 27th September 2021
- Expires: 25th October 2021