Job Title: Plant/weed (Herbicide Resistance) Research Scientist
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Duration: 1 year + Extensions
Pay Rate: £15 per hour (circa £28,080 per annum)
SRG are currently looking to recruit for a Research Scientist to join a global agrochemical company based in the Berkshire area. This organisation wishes to help people across the world to grow more food using fewer resources in a more sustainable way.
They aim to find new solutions, products and services that meet their customers' most pressing needs. Therefore, they are looking for innovative, ambitious and courageous individuals. In return you'll have the opportunity to develop your skills in a truly global organisation.
As a research scientist you will be based within the herbicide resistance team as part of the wider Herbicide Bioscience function, you will be responsible for leading, designing and carrying out high-quality glasshouse and molecular biology experiments to support our research and market support objectives. This is varied multi-disciplinary role with the ability to contribute both to our research and development organisations.
- Working alongside the Herbicide Resistance Technical Lead, design glasshouse-based studies and constructing appropriate experimental protocols to address the varying research objectives.
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of experimental techniques on an on-going basis through own initiatives and independent research of the literature.
- Interacting closely with colleagues in other disciplines such as plant production, molecular biology and biokinetics.
- Take ownership of experiments from start to finish and prepare reports and recommendations to interested stakeholders
- Prepare solutions for spraying and carry out plant assessments for a range of symptoms, data recording and report writing.
- Work with internal/external partners to investigate resistance at the molecular level including generating and analysing sequencing data.
- Working closely with plant production to ensure high quality plant material is available for testing. May involve some practical plant propagation as required.
- Embrace and contribute to further advancing our use of digital tools to support data collection, storage, and analysis
- Keep up to date with current literature in the area of herbicide resistance and initiate studies in response to projects and market support needs
- Ensure that own work is conducted in compliance within companies policies on HSE
- Knowledge of molecular biology tools (PCR, sequencing etc.)
- Ability to integrate into the organisation and to quickly build an effective working relationship with individuals across teams.
- Experience of working in a glasshouse environment highly advantageous.
- Be adaptable and flexible with a "can-do" attitude.
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve and identify novel solutions to our research
- Ability to work under pressure whilst not compromising on data quality
- Must be self-driven and able to independently work to an agreed objective rather than a list of tasks
- Excellent communication and presentation skills required
- Strong IT skills beyond basic office applications an advantage e.g. molecular biology analysis tools such as Geneious, data analysis tools such as Spotfire, Statistical software such as R) or ability to become proficient
- Interest in data management an advantage
Apply online today. For more information about the role or application submission process please email Irfan Jabar on: Irfan.email@example.com.
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J2162078
- Updated: 6th October 2021
- Expires: 3rd November 2021