A rapidly expanding spin-out company is seeking a talented Protein Scientist to join its team in Cambridge. The business focuses on a natural alternative to plastic, stemming from plant-based protein - a first of its kind in industry.
As Protein Scientist, you will play an important role in leading the development of protein extraction processes and characterisation of sustainable feedstocks for the company's novel protein-based materials.
You will possess excellent academics (BSc/MSc) in Chemistry (or related) and can bring previous experience working with a range of protein extraction and purification techniques.
Protein Scientist responsibilities
- Leading the development of protein extraction processes and characterisation of sustainable feedstocks for the company's novel protein-based materials.
- Applying protein chemistry knowledge to improve the performance of the company's protein-based materials to meet performance requirements.
- Working with the Research Team to deliver a collaborative project with a lead customer to demonstrate the material as a biodegradable seed coating.
- Conducting lab-scale and pilot-scale experiments for the development of optimised protein extraction and purification process.
- Leading the development of protein analytical techniques.
- Supporting the techno-economic assessment of novel extraction processes and different protein feedstocks, including related techniques to improve the
- efficiency waste footprint.
Protein Scientist requirements
- A degree level qualification (BSc/MSc/PhD) in Protein Biochemistry or closely related.
- Hands on experience with a range of protein extraction and purification techniques, as well as protein analytical techniques including gel electrophoresis, protein quantification, particle size analysis, DSC and FTIR.
- Demonstrated experience on plant-protein extraction and purification processes.
- In-depth knowledge of plant-protein structure and functional properties (solubility, aggregation, texture, emulsifying properties).
- Demonstrated ability to translate fundamental technical knowledge about plant-proteins into applications know-how.
- Experience with protein materials, or other biomaterials
In return, there is a real opportunity for the successful candidate to join a progressive business who are leading the way on innovation and development of alternative plastic materials. £Comp + company benefits
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 7070
- Posted: 14th September 2021
- Expires: 12th October 2021