A fast growth biotech start-up has an exciting opportunity for a Research Associate to join its Culture Media team. You will support a fast-past R&D team design and optimise culture media formulations. To be considered you must have a BSc in a biology based subject and have previous lab experience including hands-on aseptic technique and mammalian cell culture.
This role is a research associate position within the culture media team. You will conduct scientific research to support the rational design and optimisation of culture media formulations. Specifically, media for the proliferation and maturation of various cell types in bioreactor systems. The objective being to produce chemically defined culture media, which are animal component free and cost effective.
- Execute experiments related to culture media R&D activities, implementing the following:
- Maintenance of mammalian cell cultures (e.g. cell revival, culture and banking) both manually and automated.
- Preparation of reagents for cell culture and characterisation processes
- Characterise cellular samples for cell vitality (e.g. cell numbers, cell viability and cell sizing) and differentiation (e.g. select markers).
- Characterise spent media for secreted metabolites and nutrient consumption.
- Produce culture media stocks for screening.
- Perform quality tests on cells, reagents and media (e.g. contamination testing).
- Maintain an accurate record of experiments using an ELN.
- Accurately report results (including contaminations and incidents).
- Create SOP and risk assessment documentation.
- Participate in group and project meetings and discussions.
- Maintain and organise laboratory consumable/reagent inventories (including purchasing).
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the project and protocols.
- General ad-hoc duties as required to support the departmental and organisation requirements
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree in either Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or related field
- Good understanding of cell biology and biochemistry.
- Experience of experimental design, execution, and data analysis.
- Experience in aseptic technique and mammalian cell culture, preferably in the handling of stem or primary cell types.
- Experience of experimental record-keeping.
- Experience of trouble shooting in an experimental capacity.
- Good numeracy and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Experienced with writing standard protocols, basic reports, and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of and skills to use analysis instruments (e.g. cell counters, UV‑vis plate readers & microscopes / imagers)
- Molecular biology skills e.g. enzyme-based metabolism assays, protein quantification & PCR
- Nutrient analysis and osmolarity characterisation experience.
- Knowledge of culture media fundamentals.
- Statistical analysis of data.
- Experience with automated lab instrumentation.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6894
- Posted: 21st July 2021
- Expires: 18th August 2021