CK Group are working in partnership with Avacta to recruit for a Protein Scientist to join them at their site based in Cambridge on a permanent basis.
Avacta is developing Affimer® bio-therapeutics to meet the growing demand for the next generation of drugs that will compete with monoclonal antibodies and other antibody mimetics, primarily in oncology. The Affimer technology is a novel protein scaffold based on the human protease inhibitor Stefin A. Key benefits of the Affimer technology are its small size, ease of formatting, high expression yields (even of large multimeric structures) and stability. Avacta are also developing a range of novel FAP-a activated pro-drug chemotherapeutics (pre|CISION? and TMAC?) that can be used as mono- or as combination therapies for the treatment of a wide range of cancers. Their first drug AVA6000, has recently being approved for clinical trials.
Avacta are conveniently located in Cambridge, near Whittlesford Parkway station in state-of-the-art laboratories, offering an exciting and innovative environment where you will have the opportunity to develop your career.
Protein Senior Research Associate / Scientist Role:
Your main duties will be to:
- Clone, express and purify Affimers for protein characterisation work and stability testing using a range of different expression platforms (bacterial and mammalian cells eg, CHO/HEK)
- Clone, express, purify and characterise recombinant proteins to be used in phage screens and ELISA/cell-based assays from a range of expression platforms and fully characterise them using a range of methods (HPLC, SDS-PAGE, western blot, ELISA, IEF, SPR etc)
- Maintain and establish cell lines required for protein production
- Engineer Affimers for improved properties and with serum half-life extension technologies (eg, as Fc-fusions). Design, clone, express and characterise the proteins produced
- Carry out optimisation studies to increase Affimer production from microbial hosts
- Develop bench scale protein purification protocols using conventional chromatography resins to purify up to gram quantities of Affimer
- Set up and carry out HPLC based assays to characterise Affimers (eg, size exclusion, reverse phase chromatography etc)
- Carry out accelerated stability studies on Affimers and characterise changes that may occur
- Establish pre-formulation studies for increasing stability of the proteins produced
- Produce high quality Affimer and tool molecules for pre-clinical studies, delivering within timelines at the correct specification
- Present work/data at internal group/company meetings or to external clients when necessary and produce accurate scientific reports
- Maintain a current and accurate laboratory record (electronic lab notebook) of all activities
- Contribute to lab set up and organisation, demo new equipment when necessary, maintain current equipment, maintain databases and shared lab stocks
The ideal candidate for this role will have/be:
- Minimum of BSc level in a subject related to protein biochemistry, protein engineering or molecular biology. A PhD would be beneficial for this position.
- Experience with standard protein production techniques, AKTA purification, and HPLC systems
- Knowledge and practical skills with molecular biology to carry out protein engineering
- Excellent knowledge of a range of protein characterisation techniques
Entitlement to work in the UK is essential. For more information or to apply for this Protein Senior Research Associate / Scientist role, please contact Sarah Farrow on 0191 3706486 or firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting job ref 51109.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: CK Group
- Contact: Sarah Farrow
- Phone: 0191 384 8906
- Reference: 51109
Website: CK Group
- Posted: 9th July 2021
- Expires: 6th August 2021