An opportunity has arisen for a material development leader to join an innovative organisation that designs, develops, and manufactures a range of impact protection products for applications within the extreme sports, military, and technology sectors. You will head up the material development department; lead projects focussed on delivering innovative new materials, products, and solutions to service the clients core markets across all technical platforms.
Challenges will include creating novel polymer blends within thermoplastics, thermoplastic elastomers, and thermoset materials and be responsible for troubleshooting processing of new polymer blends.
To be successful you should ideally possess expertise in polyurethane foams and elastomers, polyolefin foams, thermoplastic elastomers, silicone rubbers, and polymer film technologies. Alongside compounding, extrusion, injection moulding, pour cast moulding and compression moulding.
- Develop, co-develop and source high performance materials to meet identified market needs and specific performance criteria.
- Manage the portfolio of Material Developments, through the internal Innovation, R&D, Feasibility and Licensing processes.
- Take responsibility for material developments according to the stage-gate process (from initial research and feasibility trials through lab scale development and finally implementation into production).
- Work closely with Program Management, Product Development, Quality and Testing teams on cross-functional projects.
- Mentor and lead the Material Development Team (UK & China) promoting growth and continual improvement.
- Manage third party co-developments and consultants as required.
Key Skills and Requirements:
- Experience in technical development of polymers/plastics/foams.
- Relevant degree (Chemistry, Material Science, Polymers etc.) or equivalent industrial experience.
- Understanding of polyurethane (PU) foam and elastomer chemistry - practical experience formulating is a bonus.
- Proven experience in either sourcing or co-developments with third parties.
- Understanding of thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) compounding.
- Understanding of polyolefin cross-linked foam compounding.
Salary: £. Competitive
Benefits: Performance bonus, 23 days holiday + Banks, on-site gym, free on-site parking.
Location: South London + Flexibility to work from home 2-3 days per week.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6947
- Posted: 10th June 2021
- Expires: 8th July 2021