Charnwood Molecular have a brand new opportunity to join our team as a Group Leader (Process Research & Development, PR&D). The role is responsible for supporting the Director of Process Research & Development to establish Charnwood Molecular as an industry leader in the provision of PR&D services.
The Group Leader will also lead a sub-group of Charnwood Molecular employees, taking responsibility for the day-to-day progress of their individual research projects as well as problem solving production issues as they arise.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To lead a sub-group of Charnwood Molecular staff, taking responsibility for the day-to-day progress of their individual research projects as assigned from time to time by his/her Line Manager (or Head of Operations, or Company Directors). Note: The group of staff will be assigned to you by your line manager(s) and may change from time-to-time.
- To design synthetic routes for the team to carry out the preparation, purification and analysis of a range of chemical compounds as part of chemical development programs.
- To plan and design processes to be implemented at large scale (10 and 20 L initially) giving due consideration to reaction efficiency, in-process monitoring and process safety.
- To problem solve and present solutions to line management.
- To regularly update his/her Line Manager (or Director of Operations, or Company Directors as requested), on the progress of the range of projects under his/her direction.
- To ensure your research group keep their laboratory notebooks in a neat and tidy fashion as directed by line management.
- To ensure your research group record and store key data in the online data store as directed by line management.
- To familiarize himself/herself with appropriate computer-based software and search tools to allow and facilitate literature searching and report writing as required.
- To contribute to, and as required, to lead discussions with clients and potential clients and to represent Charnwood Molecular in a professional manner at all times.
- To attend seminars or conferences on behalf of the company, acting in an ambassadorial role to represent Charnwood Molecular, and on occasion to deliver presentations on behalf of the company as directed by his/her Line Manager (or Director of Operations, or Company Directors).
- To travel to, or work temporarily at, other Charnwood Molecular facilities in the UK from time to time as requested.
- To contribute to the appraisal, training and skills development of Charnwood Molecular staff, as directed by from time to time by his/her Line Manager or Director of Operations, or Company Directors.
- To deputise for his/her line manager as directed by from time to time by his/her Line Manager or Director of Operations, or Company Directors.
- To take a proactive approach to one’s professional development.
- To attend to any other incidental and general duties as specified from time to time by his/her Line Managers.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- BSc/Masters degree in Chemistry or a related discipline
- Previous experience of working within the pharmaceutical, biotech, fine chemical or contract research industries with an emphasis on Chemical Development and Process Research
- Significant experience of undertaking research and development projects in industry
- Previous experience of training or mentoring other staff
- Previous experience of leading a research team
- Experience of using chemical structure and reaction search tools
- Experience of writing and presenting research reports
- PhD in Chemistry or a related discipline
- Generation of publishable outputs (e.g. research publications and patents), especially within an industrial environment
- Working knowledge of the supporting disciplines required for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient development, for example, solid-form studies, the regulatory frameworks within API manufacture, requirements for the delivery of pre-clinical materials.
Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to work independently and accurately with minimum supervision
- An ability to use ones experience to pre-empt potential issues during a complex synthetic route
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- To be able to present solutions to line management
- Excellent time management and personal organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal communication
- To be an excellent completer/finisher – be proactive in seeing tasks through to a successful completion
- Excellent inter-personal skills, to be able to relate to individuals at all levels
- An ability and willingness to mentor and train colleagues
- The ability to plan ahead and to adapt to changing circumstances
- Flexibility and a willingness to put in extra hours when required
Related skills: Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Process Chemistry, Laboratory
- Employer: Charnwood Molecular
Website: Charnwood Molecular
- Updated: 7th June 2021
- Expires: 5th July 2021