Job Title: Scientist - Bacteriology
Location: North Yorkshire
Employment Term: Permanent
SRG are working with an International Research Organisation who are currently recruiting a Scientist to work closely with the company's collection of plant pathogenic bacteria. The purpose of this role is to raise and maintain cultures within the bacteria collection as well as getting involved in research around new and existing diseases within the bacteriology diagnosis team.
- Working in the lab to raise and maintain bacterial cultures and carrying out analysis to ensure quality before populating a profile
- Day-to-day management of their plant pathogenic bacteria collection:
- Freeze-drying new samples and prioritisation of refreeze-drying low/old stock
- Checking the viability, authenticity and purity of freeze-dried strains
- Ensuring careful and accurate upkeep of the bacteria database and customer data
- Ensuring customers are kept informed of the progress of their orders
- Assistance in the production of publications such as 'New Disease Records'
- Provide support for other work in the Plants Programme as required
- Carry out work in accordance with ISO17025 and ISO9001 quality accreditation standards.
- Support the diagnosis and R&D work with the bacteriology diagnosis team
- A BSc or equivalent in a related scientific subject i.e. Microbiology (candidates without a degree will need to have significant relevant experience instead
- Experience in working with microorganisms, plant bacteria or plant pathogens in a laboratory (including university)
- Proven experience with aseptic techniques would be beneficial
- Experience with customer service to be able to communicate clearly with customers
- Interest in working with plants and carrying out research around their diseases/bacteria
- Understanding of bacterial taxonomy and nomenclature
- Experience working with quarantine pathogens
- Knowledge of molecular and/or serological testing methods
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Emma on 0161 868 2222.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srg.co.uk to view our other vacancies
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J2160381
- Posted: 18th May 2021
- Expires: 15th June 2021