A leading supplier to the food and beverage industry requires a Lab Technician to join its team on a fixed term contract until December 2021. Your role will be to undertake routine analysis of samples. You will either have a degree in chemistry or food science, or have the equivalent previous work experience in a commercial lab.
Due to the location of this site, you must be able to drive and have your own vehicle.
Testing of samples:
- Routine testing of samples submitted to QC by various areas of the business.
- Review the requirements of each sample and take responsibility for the appropriate analysis and evaluation of results.
- Understand the requirements of each stakeholder and react accordingly to each sample.
- Contribute constructively to daily sensory evaluation of all QC samples and ensure relevant information if recorded as part of the QC testing.
- Operation of the Instrument laboratory and daily running of the GCs.
- Challenge the reason for the analysis which is required for each product group and propose solutions if necessary.
- Able to adapt to high pressure environment and independently prioritise samples/ issue to meet business goals.
- Carry out investigation into failed tests on samples or atypical results quickly and efficiently and feed back to the relevant stakeholder confidently to ensure the impact of the results is understood.
- Ensure all information recorded on Unity, QCRs or supporting lab documentation is accurate and comprehensive.
- Challenge QC methods or specification to ensure samples are being treated appropriately and raise change enquiries as required.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of QC methods and work instructions.
- Ensure all equipment in the lab is calibrated and fit for use. Carry out basic maintenance and troubleshooting as required.
Health and Safety
- Actively promote Health & Safety awareness and fulfil responsibilities of the position as defined in Health & Safety and Environmental policies/codes of practice.
- Report all incidents and hazards.
- Conform to and develop area safety standards for safe working practices and good housekeeping.
- Responsible for legal compliance. Ensure risk assessments are in place, maintained and reviewed at an appropriate frequency, COSHH records & Safe Systems of work.
Improvement Activity and Projects
- Highlight required areas for improvement and liaise with other Department members to allow completion against set timescales.
- Support Company goals by involvement within area improvement teams.
- Food/Science or Chemistry related degree is desirable, but science background to at least A level standard (or equivalent) is essential
- Good numeric skills
- Ability to work in collaboration with other departments
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) with ability to use Excel to analyse data
- Accurate detailed record keeping skills
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business
- Experience of working in a busy lab environment to GLP standards
- Willingness and ability to be customer focused and work autonomously or in a team
- High attention to detail
- Practical problem-solving ability
- Experience of food or fragrance industry desirable
- Familiarity with testing/laboratory equipment is desirable
*Contract until December 2021*
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6841
- Posted: 26th April 2021
- Expires: 24th May 2021