Day Rate: £500
6 Month Contract
Start Date: ASAP
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: To provide database, server and software configuration management in support of the Informatics software development team.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Installation, administration, support, maintenance, monitoring & upgrading of database servers.
• Coordinate the architecture and technical design of solutions proposed by the team, creating and policing a holistic technical architecture vision for the company.
• Take strong ownership of software engineering standards, documentation, tools, methods, and environments, proposing and delivering a standardised approach to software engineering across the company, so as to avoid a collection of point-solutions and instead create a unified and integrated software portfolio supporting the whole UK Biocentre business-as-usual operation.
• Guiding the development team to create databases, tables and files to fit into a coherent best-practice architecture.
• Performing query optimization, database design, optimization in addition to providing assistance to stakeholders in writing complex queries, stored procedures/functions, views, and DDL/DML/DTU scripts.
• Troubleshooting complex database performance and data retrieval issues.
• Ensuring data and systems security, taking responsibility for proper control of authentication and privileges, and adherence to the security compliance standards i.e. ISO, GDPR, and the internal information security policy.
• Maintain database operational, disaster recovery, backup procedures/processes to ensure continuous availability and fast recovery.
• Publish documents i.e. user manuals, maintenance procedures, RCAs and definition for data dictionary etc.
• Migrate and manipulate data between different platforms and file types, notably, importing data into Postgre from SQL Server to eventually decommission the SQL Server Informatics systems.
• Investigate and resolve data issues relating to occasional but sometimes urgent problems with laboratory test cases. Take full responsibility for the maintenance of the LIMS database.
• Monitor and maintain the high performance and reliability of laboratory IT solutions.
• Collaborate closely with the IT Infrastructure team to deliver solutions on well-architected and secure platforms and network configurations, acting as the infrastructure representative in the Informatics team.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
• Undergraduate degree in IT or computer science
• 3+ years of database management and query experience working with Postgre on Linux
• Good experience of working with MS SQL on Windows operating system platforms.
• Strong working knowledge of Postgre database platforms and structures, storage & memory architecture, processes.
• Excellent understanding of SQL, as used within data analytics development languages.
• Familiar with managing enterprise level mission critical databases in a 24/7 business.
• Sound knowledge of driving software configuration management, software testing discipline, and development governance, as well as technical systems administration
Essential Technical Skills
• Postgre database design and administration to expert level
• Linux operating system administration at the command line, including editors and file management
• Good familiarity with MS SQL Server relational database (for legacy systems)
• Administration and configuration of Git software management tools
• Automation scripting using Python
• Commercial certification in Postgre and/or Linux administration.
• Design and delivery of simple Data Warehousing solutions
• Very basic working knowledge of Oracle database administration, specifically relating to simple backup and recovery management.
• Working knowledge of Hyper-V administration
If you’re interested please apply or send your CV to email@example.com
- Agency: Cpl Life Sciences
- Contact: Luke Sandilands
- Reference: JO-2104-466897
Website: Cpl Life Sciences
- Posted: 21st April 2021
- Expires: 19th May 2021