PhD Research Chemist required, based in Cheshire West. Requiring a PhD in Chemistry, with a focus on organic synthesis and an interest in working on varied synthetic projects across multiple industries.
Title: PhD Research Chemist
Location: Cheshire West
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000 per annum + benefits
SRG is working with a well-respected, global company who develop speciality chemicals and additives for downstream chemical industries. With a genuine drive for innovation, they are now looking for a PhD Research Chemist to join their R&D hub, working on a varied projects to produce functional chemical compounds for a wide range of downstream products. Using current literature and trends, you will devise synthetic experiments to develop new products in the lab, optimising viable candidates for commercialisation. This would be an excellent opportunity for a PhD-qualified Chemist who had academic or industrial experience of organic synthesis. A creative mind set and the flexibility to work on a variety of projects is key.
Benefits: Multinational chemicals business with a strong focus on innovation and a vibrant community of R&D scientists. 38 working hours, 8.40am-5.00pm Monday to Friday with some flexibility on start and finish times. 25 days holiday as standard plus 8 statutory days, increasing with length of service. Enhanced pension scheme, private healthcare or health cash plan, share save scheme and annual company bonus.
Role / Description
- Devising and managing projects to develop new functional chemical compounds via synthetic methods
- Designing and carrying out lab-based experiments, synthesis and characterisation of new products
- Using analytical skills including NMR, Mass Spectrometry, IR and crystallisation for characterisation
- Working closely with Applications Chemists to evaluate viability and performance of compounds in market formulations
- Using literature, market trends and industry conferences to inform development of synthetic routes and reaction mechanisms
- Establishing test methods, interpreting resulting analysis and reporting on findings
- Maintaining an awareness of product development and trends in specific industry and project areas
- Liaising with other internal R&D teams to share information, collaborate and contribute to parallel or long term R&D projects.
- Minimum PhD in Chemistry - must have significant focus on organic synthetic chemistry
- Interest in using creative synthetic techniques to produce compounds which could be used in a variety of products - e.g. oilfield chemicals, agrochemicals, household products, personal care products
- Post-doc or industrial experience organic synthesis considered advantageous but not essential
- Good communication and problem-solving skills
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to email@example.com For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: Research Chemist, PhD, chemistry, chemist, synthesis, organic synthesis, functional compounds, functional additives, chemicals, research chemist, speciality, synthetic, reaction, characterisation, laboratory, research, development, project, thesis, doctorate, post-doctorate, experiment
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2159287
- Updated: 29th April 2021
- Expires: 27th May 2021