We're currently seeking a Senior Biomedical Scientist based in and around Milton Keynes to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as a Senior Biomedical Scientist will include:
- Provide technical expertise to the project.
- Authorise PCR results, including IQA and EQA.
- Supervision of staff in the PCR analysis laboratory including oversight of maintenance and troubleshooting of PCR platforms.
- Responsibility for the training and development of staff in the PCR analysis laboratory.
- Create and review technical documents and SOPs compliant with the ISO15189:2012 standard using the laboratory QMS.
- Assist laboratory management in ensuring that compliance with organisational quality standards and H&S requirements are maintained.
- Pursue a programme of continuous professional development in accordance with any relevant professional registration.
In order to be successful in the role of Senior Biomedical Scientist, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- BSc Honours degree recognised by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS)
- HCPC registration.
- (Desirable) Higher level degree or professional qualification (eg Msc, Higher Specialist portfolio)
- Extensive experience using a variety of PCR methods including authorising/validating diagnostic results.
- Evidence of ability to interpret internal and external quality assurance results and to take appropriate corrective actions/investigations.
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within diagnostic laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012).
- Experience of training and supervision in a laboratory setting.
- Willingness to participate in 24/7 shift working as required.
- Evidence of excellent communication and team-working skills.
- Evidence of excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. TECAN liquid handling systems).
- Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology.
- Evidence of ability to compile and summarise data for presentation.
- Experience of supervising a team in a laboratory setting.
- Experience in using end-Point PCR methods.
- Experience of Health and Safety regulations and procedures
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: MTK0005
- Updated: 7th May 2021
- Expires: 4th June 2021