Graduate Chemist required, based in Greater Manchester. Requiring a degree in Chemistry or Polymer Science, along with an interest in polymer or organic chemistry and product development. No industrial experience necessary but industrial placement involving formulation or physical testing of polymer products would be considered advantageous.
Title: Graduate Chemist
Location: Greater Manchester
Salary: £18,000 - £22,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
SRG is working with very well-established business who have been operating for over 150 years in Greater Manchester, specialising in the development and manufacture of elastomer and polymer products. They are now looking for a Graduate Chemist to join the Technical Team to assist with development projects and testing of polymer products. Given full and dedicated training, the successful individual will work with customers to develop and formulate custom polymer compounds, with routine physical testing to evaluate performance. This would a fantastic opportunity for a recent graduate of Chemistry or Polymer Science to start their career in the chemical industry.
Benefits: You will be joining a small Technical Team, working with a Development Technologist and QC Chemists. Full training provided, including a dedicated Polymer Technology training course. Excellent potential for growth and development with the team. 39 hours a week, 8am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday (some flexibility on start/finish times). 20 days holiday + 8 statutory days, pension auto-enrolment and private healthcare.
- Development and modification of polymer compounds and formulations to customer specifications
- Undertaking physical testing of products to evaluate properties, e.g. viscosity, rheometry, hardness, tensile strength, compression, ageing and weathering
- Recording test results and generating technical reports on test outcomes
- Liaising regularly with customers regarding requirements, product queries/complaints and technical advice
- Once fully trained, supporting the scale up of products from the lab to full scale production and troubleshooting issues as needed
- Assisting with laboratory housekeeping, COSHH, calibrations and records of lab work
- Degree (BSc, MChem) in Chemistry or Polymer Science
- Interest in or particular focus on Polymer Chemistry/Organic Chemistry modules
- Relevant industrial experience involving formulation or physical testing of polymer products would be considered advantageous
- Strong communications skills, good work ethic and willingness to learn
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: chemistry, polymer science, materials science, graduate, degree, BSc, MChem, chemical, industrial, laboratory, chemist, development, formulation, R&D, polymer, elastomer, polymeric, elastomeric, compounding, thermoplastics
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2159081
- Posted: 19th February 2021
- Expires: 19th March 2021