Development Chemist required, based in Cheshire. Requiring a degree in Chemistry or similar and experience of formulating surfactant-based products, emulsions, lubricants, coatings or household/personal care products.
Title: Development Chemist
Salary: £32,000 - £35,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
SRG is working with a well-established business with a 35 year history in speciality chemical manufacturing. With a wide portfolio of existing products and the capability to tailor bespoke chemical solutions, the business are now looking for a new Development Chemist to join the team at their site in Cheshire, with a view to taking on Technical Management in the future. This person will lead and manage a range of development projects from lab to commercial production, provide technical support and liaise with customers in the UK, Europe and Middle East. It would be a an excellent opportunity for a degree-qualified Chemist, with a background in formulating/developing products such as surfactants, cleaning products, lubricants, emulsions, personal care products, coatings or similar.
Benefits: Senior development role in a company experiencing 10-15% growth year on year. Very good career progression potential toward Technical Management. 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday, normally 8am-4pm (some flex on start/finish times). 23 days holiday + 8 bank holidays. Excellent pension scheme, company car, private healthcare and annual bonus.
- Creating and developing new product formulations and modifying existing formulations as required to customer briefs
- Taking formulation projects from laboratory through pilot trials to full-scale manufacture,
- Troubleshooting any issues arising during the manufacturing process
- Co-ordinating with sales, marketing and administration departments to formally launch new products
- Providing technical support internally to production and sales and externally to customers
- Occasional travel to Europe to provide technical expertise to customers or visit suppliers
- Maintaining good commercial awareness and market knowledge to inform development work
- Supporting the Technical Manager with growing the business into potential new markets
- Testing and analysing samples from competitors for benchmarking purposes
- Preparing samples for development work
- Supporting the quality control of finished products and investigation of complaints as necessary
- Minimum degree-level qualification in Chemistry or relevant scientific discipline
- Proven experience in the formulation and development of products such as surfactants, cleaning products, lubricants, emulsions, personal care products, coatings or similar
- Good understanding of current regulations, e.g. REACh, CLP
- Good communication and presentation skills, comfortable liaising with customers
- Willing to support the team and work cross-functionally if needed
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218.
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.com to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: laboratory, formulation, development, R&D, scale up, emulsion, lubricant, surfactant, grease, household care, cleaning products, detergent, coating, silicone, personal care, wash products, haircare, shampoo, conditioner, cosmetic, defoamer, BSc, MChem, MSc, degree, Chemistry, Chemical Surface Chemistry
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2159074
- Posted: 18th February 2021
- Expires: 18th March 2021