We're currently seeking a Sample Preparation Scientist based in and around Cambridge to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as a Sample Preparation Scientist will include:
- Sorting samples as needed into racks and pipetting samples into 96 well plates using a variety of manual and semiautomated methods.
- Identifying and processing samples that may be compromised or do not meet established acceptability criteria according to defined processes and procedures
- Completing viral inactivation steps
- Tracking of samples using a LIMS system
- For some roles- operation of larger scale liquid handling automation (Biomek Iseries).
In order to be successful in the role of our Sample Preparation Scientist you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Educated to degree level within a scientific discipline, or equivalent lab experience.
- Strong basis in biosafety, experience with handling human biological samples and working at containment level 2.
- Strong attention to detail and able and willing to perform routine, manual tasks.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- IT literate and confident interacting with a LIMS system
- Can work with minimal supervision and use logical reasoning when faced with unfamiliar scenarios.
- Able to demonstrate skills in interpreting and recording results accurately.
- Able to pick skills up quickly and apply in a laboratory-based environment.
- For some roles- experience using larger scale laboratory automation.
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: CAM001
- Updated: 19th February 2021
- Expires: 19th March 2021