Are you interested in sustainability and advancing material development to help combat the global crisis of plastic pollution? I have a unique opportunity to join a globally renowned start-up business currently working on alternative plastic materials- derived completely from seaweed. This organisation is one of the world leaders in seaweed processing, creating an exclusive bioplastic to be utilised in packaging applications.
Due to sustained growth and recent funding, the company are now seeking for a Senior Chemical Engineer to join its team based in Oban, Scotland on a permanent basis. As Senior Chemical Engineer, you will take an authoritative position within the company on process development, scale-up activities, and technology transfer of their innovative biorefinery model. This will suit a highly qualified Chemical Engineer, who has direct experience working on small scale biorefineries - ideally bringing seaweed process expertise.
Senior Chemical Engineer responsibilities:
- Lead the process development phase including equipment and process selection for pilot trials and the full-scale plant design.
- Collaborate with R&D and Product Innovation teams ensure alignment and optimum processes will deliver high quality safe products with targeted functionality.
- Hands-on involvement in process development and scale up trials, ensuring all risk assessments are thoroughly conducted and the findings implemented.
- Ensure all aspects of the design are considered e.g. safety, food safety, compliance, energy efficiency, operability, maintainability.
- Lead the development of project scope, schedule, and budget, operating financials including capex commitment, resource plan and project execution plan.
- Responsible for determining the appropriate construction management processes considering safety, schedule, efficiency, cost management and documentation. Develops project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans and conferring with management.
- Development of the procurement, bidding and contracting strategies for the project. Develop User Requirement Specifications, RFPs and RFQs for processes, equipment and materials, reviews bid packages, lead the negotiations on equipment, engineering and labour packages.
- Active participation on Value Engineering projects, identifying, and working to improve yield, efficiency and lower costs as well as implementing new sustainable projects to support our replicate and scale model for seaweed biorefineries.
Senior Chemical Engineer requirements:
- Possess an Engineering degree - preferably in Chemical or Process Engineering.
- Wealth of experience working in a bio-refining environment - extending from industries such as seaweed, alginate, hydrocolloid, or protein hydrolysate.
- Experience in scaling processes from bench, through pilot, to full scale manufacturing.
- Experience of, and enjoyment in, working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environments and the ability to juggle several workstreams.
- Ability to think creatively to improve on process and plans and develop creative and effective solutions to challenges in this emerging industry.
- Hands-on experience in exploiting automation systems to enhance the performance of the wide experience with food processing equipment and processes.
In return, the company can provide a rare opportunity to work with an innovative product and help contribute to a global solution. Along with huge career opportunities within the team, you will also receive a very competitive salary package including share options.
Senior Chemical Engineer/Seaweed/Bio-refinery/Downstream processing/Bioplastic/Packaging/R&D
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6764
- Posted: 1st February 2021
- Expires: 1st March 2021