R&D Analyst required, based in Cheshire. Requiring a degree in Chemistry or similar with hands-on experience of wet chemistry and extraction techniques. Particular experience of extracting compounds from natural sources will be of interest.
Title: R&D Analyst
Salary: £22,000 - £30,000 (dependent on experience)
Employment Term: 12 month contract, with a view to permanent
SRG is working with a hugely successful company specialising in the development of innovative chemical technology for use in the hygiene and cleaning product sectors. With some exciting new areas of research, they are now looking for an R&D Analyst to join the team initially on a 12 month contract. The role will involve conducting extractions from natural materials, purifying and analysing these to assess compound composition, concentration and properties. There will also be some formulation work to evaluate compound performance. This would be an excellent opportunity for a BSc, MSc or PhD qualified Chemist who has practical, hands-on experience of extraction techniques, purification techniques and wet chemistry analysis/characterisation.
Benefits: Initial 12 month contract with a view to permanent. Forward-thinking business with a genuine focus on R&D, looking to advance their technology in this field. A modern and well-equipped working environment, with a highly collaborative team. 25 day holiday allowance, plus 8 statutory days, company pension scheme, life assurance, bonus and share options. Working hours of 36.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with highly flexible start and finish times.
Role / Description
- Conducting solvent-based extractions from natural samples, involving rotary evaporation and freeze-drying
- Carrying out wet chemistry characterisation of extracts to evaluate components and concentrations, including NMR, MS, chromatography and membrane filtration
- Undertaking purification of samples using column chromatography
- Developing or adapting extraction or analytical methods to suite project requirements
- Stability testing and trials to assess longevity and optimum storage conditions
- Carrying out experiments with varying extraction conditions and with samples of different age, geographic origin, storage conditions, etc. to assess effects on components/concentration
- Formulating purified extracts with other components to assess stability and physicochemical properties
- Keeping detailed records and producing scientific reports of work
- Supporting work to scale up lab extractions to intermediary and production scale
- Contributing new ideas, insights or suggestions of collaborations to advance expertise and project progress.
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Chemistry or similar discipline
- Proven practical experience of wet chemistry techniques to extract, prepare, analyse or characterise compounds. Method development experience beneficial, not essential.
- Particular experience with natural or plant-based samples will be advantageous, as well as experience of NMR, Mass Spectrometry, chromatography or membrane filtration.
- Good laboratory Health & Safety knowledge
- Good communication skills and ability to translate data and findings into meaningful insights
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on 0161 868 2218. If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srgtalent.co.uk to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: extraction, extract, solvent, rotary evaporation, analyst, analyse, analysis, analytical, R&D, organic, wet chemistry, BSc, MSc, PhD, Chemistry, characterisation, purification, column chromatography, NMR, Mass Spectrometry, chromatography, membrane filtration, natural compounds, plant-based,
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Faye Allison
- Phone: 0161 868 2218
- Reference: J2158406
- Posted: 24th December 2020
- Expires: 21st January 2021