Membrane Protein Biochemist
Competitive Salary + Benefits
Do you have experience in expressing and purifying membrane proteins?
Would you like to work for a unique Biotechnology company with an impressive development portfolio and industry partnerships?
My client's aim is to discover, design and develop the most innovative and effective medicines for patients worldwide, through their world-leading patent-protected technology and platform. They attract leading scientists from around the world to join their team. Their primary focus is the discovery and early development of new medicines originating from their proprietary technology and Structure-Based Drug Design (SBDD) platform capabilities.
They are advancing a broad and deep pipeline of novel medicines across multiple therapeutic areas, including CNS, immuno-oncology, gastroenterology, inflammation and other rare/speciality indications.
They have established partnerships with some of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, including Abbvie, AstraZeneca, Genentech (Roche), Novartis, Pfizer and Takeda; and additionally, with multiple emerging biotechnology companies. Due to continued growth they are looking to hire a Membrane Protein Biochemist at Principal Scientist or Senior Scientist level.
We are seeking a highly experienced membrane protein biochemist to join the Biochemistry group at Senior Scientist or Principal Scientist level, at their research facility in Cambridge, UK, working on membrane protein biochemical characterisation to enable drug discovery efforts.
The position will make use of state-of-the-art protein expression, purification, SPR, mass-spectrometry, crystallisation and cryoEM facilities. Applicants should have significant experience in the expression and purification of challenging membrane proteins destined for biochemical, biophysical and structural studies.
Applicant should possess a proven track record of publications related to the expression, purification, and biochemical characterisation of difficult membrane protein targets in peer-reviewed journals.
Specific Responsibilities of the Membrane Protein Biochemist will include:
- Express and purify GPCRs, ion channels and transporters
- Perform appropriate quality control analyses and biochemically and biophysically characterise purified membrane proteins
- Keep up to date, propose, develop, implement and optimise new techniques in the fields of membrane protein expression, purification and biochemical characterisation
- Lead a small team of scientists responsible for successfully progressing membrane protein targets through their structure-based drug design pipeline
- Collaborate with other scientists on research projects, working closely with molecular biologists, biophysicists, structural biologists, molecular pharmacologists, computational and medicinal chemists
- Prepare and effectively present results (written and oral) to program teams
Requirements for the Membrane Protein Biochemist;
- You should possess a PhD in biochemistry, cell biology, biophysics or a related discipline
- Several years of post-doctoral membrane protein expression, purification and characterisation experience in either an academic or industry setting
- Possess extensive molecular biology skills
- Knowledgeable in prokaryotic and eukaryotic expression vectors and be experienced in their manipulation
- Well-versed in expression construct design and engineering to successfully express membrane proteins destined for biochemical, biophysical and structural studies
- Expert in the expression of membrane proteins from mammalian and insect cells
- Proficient in the purification and extensive biochemical characterisation of membrane proteins
- Experienced in the reconstitution of purified membrane proteins in membrane-mimetic environments
- Familiar with biochemical and biophysical techniques used to characterise membrane proteins such as luminescence, fluorescence and FRET-based techniques
- Candidates should understand the requirements of purified membrane proteins destined for structural (X-ray and/or CryoEM) and biophysical studies (SPR, mass spectrometry)
- Candidates should be highly organised and have a proven track record of supervising or managing people or projects.
Key Words "Protein Purification, Western Blotting, Affinity Tag, Ligand Binding, Ion Channel, Transporter Protein, Membrane Protein, GPCR, G Protein Coupled Receptor, Senior Scientist, Principal Scientist, protein expression, drug discovery, Structure Based Drug Design"
This is an exceptional opportunity to participate in pioneering science with an industry-leading drug discovery company.
Please apply online or call Neil Walton on 02030964706 for more information.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Contact: Neil Walton
- Phone: 0203 096 4700
- Reference: J2157775
- Posted: 10th November 2020
- Expires: 8th December 2020