An innovative young start-up business that has recently acquired a major round of investment is currently recruiting for a Research Scientist to its team based in Cambridge. The business focuses on a natural alternative to plastic, stemming from plant-based protein - a first of its kind in the industry. As Research Scientist, you will play a vital role in developing protein based materials that will be utilised in packaging applications - whilst having the ability to support other key areas of the business including, scale-up & process.
This opportunity will suit an entrepreneurial-minded candidate that holds a strong academic profile (PhD preferred) coupled with industrial/commercial experience.
Senior Materials Scientist Responsibilities
- Work with a small team to deliver the company's internal development projects - which will involve protein development applied to packaging films and other applications.
- Provide scientific insight to assist the company's development on films and coatings in packaging applications.
- Support technical R&D work - in particular, microcapsule/microencapsulation development.
- Research & Develop the company's patented materials for application in films and coatings, thermoplastic process & manufacture.
- Liaise with customers on a technical level and product development teams.
- Provide technical input to process scale-up work.
- Contribute to the product development strategy of the company.
Senior Materials Scientist Requirements
- You must possess a strong academic profile (ideally PhD level) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Engineering or closely related field of discipline.
- It is essential to demonstrate industrial experience - working within a commercial R&D environment involving the development of protein based materials and ideally films/coatings.
- Technically strong in plastics (or preferably biomaterials/bioplastics) or thermoset polymeric materials.
- Excellent practical lab development skills.
- Possess an inquisitive, analytical mind-set with a flexible approach to your work - R&D, scale-up, commercial interaction.
In return, the business can provide a fantastic platform to excel your career within an innovative R&D environment coupled with a very competitive package including company share options and rapid career development.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 6417
- Updated: 19th May 2020
- Expires: 16th June 2020