As a leading international clinical and commercial manufacturer of biologics and pharmaceuticals, Cobra Biologics offers a broad range of integrated and stand-alone contract development and manufacturing services for clinical trials and the commercial market. We take pride in manufacturing excellence and being a trusted provider, delivering what we promise and helping our customers to develop drugs for the benefit of patients.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist within our Technology and Bioanalysis Team. This is an exciting opportunity where you will be responsible for driving the molecular biology and microbial strain R&D internal programmes, as well as experimental design and execution of other assigned in-house R&D and contracted programmes of work.
Main duties will include:
- Work with your Line Manager and Director of Innovation to help formulate scientific strategy within Innovation, and champion microbial and plasmid DNA R&D programmes across the company.
- Utilise scientific expertise, personal network and good scientific practices to design, plan and execute strategic R&D programmes and contracted process development work.
- Be responsible for the identification of new process and manufacturing technologies and development approaches, including critical assays to ensure directed and efficient research & development of new in-house and existing processes.
- Deliver processes with a focus on suitability for scale up and transfer for cGMP manufacturing across the Cobra Group.
- Ensure the efficient transfer of client and internal project processes through the utilisation of multidisciplinary teams and a high level of communication.
- Support the transfer of these programmes into cGMP manufacturing across multiple sites or to an outside organisation as required.
- Provide support and information to the Commercial function for new business opportunities and ongoing contracts.
- Mentor, train and coach staff on technical aspects of assigned projects and in addition, contribute to the recruitment process for scientific staff.
This role provides high level expert opinion on the science practiced within the Company and helps management formulate scientific strategy to ensure that Cobra has a competitive advantage in process development and manufacturing technologies.
The ideal applicant will be educated to degree level or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering or equivalent qualification in a science subject. You will have extensive experience within an academic or industrial research environment. Alternatively, you will have a postgraduate qualification or relevant professional qualification with significant postgraduate experience within an academic or industrial research environment.
It is an essential requirement for this role to have strong and proven technical knowledge in microbial biology, microbial strain development and engineering and proven expertise in molecular biology with techniques such as molecular DNA cloning and sequence analysis, in silico DNA sequence management software, DNA manipulation and analysis, microbial and/or mammalian cell line fermentation.
An ability to problem solve complex problems (both scientific and technical) and communicate this to other members of the Innovation group is essential. In addition, you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong presentation skills and be able to work effectively as part of cross functional and multidisciplinary team. It is desirable that the candidate also has a PhD qualification, mammalian cell culture experience and a publication record in peer-reviewed journals. Previous experience of mentoring, coaching and training staff would be advantageous.
The position will be based at Keele, Staffordshire.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Employer: Cobra Biologics
- Contact: Corrine Ward
- Phone: 01782714181
- Reference: CBK1720
- Updated: 18th May 2020
- Expires: 14th June 2020