An exciting opportunity has become available to join a very exciting biotech company, recently selected as a "Sunday Times Top 10 Disruptors to watch". As a Microfluidic Engineer, you will join the R&D team where your focus will be to enable the design, building, testing, optimization and manufacture of complex new instrument sub-systems related to their microscopy platform. Microfluidics will be a recurring theme in the work. You must be educated to at least degree level but a PhD is preferred. You must have proven experience in microfluidic engineering.
The Research Engineer joins the R+D department to develop new devices and instrumentation to achieve automation in a biological laboratory environment, e.g., by automating high-throughput sample preparation protocols.
This a rare opportunity to help shape a young R+D team and be involved in the exciting fields of super-resolution and single-molecule microscopy.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* providing clever and novel mechanical engineering designs to solve problems impacting a modern laboratory.
* constructing, testing and improving those designs, by embracing sound experimental-science methods.
* managing the automation of instruments created in-house and the interfacing to other devices;
* interacting effectively with other team members to understand the biological problem being solved.
* Mechanical engineering degree or the equivalent
* At least 2 years minimum design experience with demonstrable results
* First-hand knowledge of automation and control systems
* Microfluidics and/or liquid-handling systems know-how
* Demonstrated ability to work in a lab to perform experiments and produce practical results
Desirable qualifications and skills
* COMSOL or other finite-element based modelling / simulation experience
* Programming background, e.g., in C/C++, MATLAB, LabVIEW on microcontrollers, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.
* Some practical knowledge of biology with the ability and desire to work alongside life scientists
* Microfabrication experience
* Ability to work unsupervised and with a minimal level of engineering infrastructure
* Collaborative mentality and strong communication skills
* Good level of manual dexterity
Remuneration and Benefits
Competitive salary, proportionate to experience.
Benefits (including but not limited to):
* 5% pension
* Nursery on-site, exclusive to employees
* Discretionary bonus
* Free lunch, snacks and drinks
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: BBBH6051
- Posted: 17th May 2019
- Expires: 14th June 2019