REED Scientific have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Laboratory Scientist for a growing company who offer a diagnostic pathology service to surgeons throughout the UK and internationally. The company pride themselves on high quality reporting, personal service and turn-around times. You will be required to perform your job with little supervision and hence you must be capable of problem solving, forward planning, time management and working as part of a team. We are looking for an enthusiastic scientist with good interpersonal skills who has good attention to detail.
The position rotates through clinical pathology, histopathology and microbiology and will also include some administrative work.
* Perform the laboratory/office sample log-in procedure including unpacking and labelling samples; this may also sometimes require picking up of the samples.
* Preparation of cytology specimens (use of cytocentrifuge, staining instrumentation) and routine protein level and cell count analysis of various body fluids/effusions e.g. joint fluids, thoracic and abdominal effusions, cerebrospinal fluid.
* Perform diagnostic microbiology (to include plating up, identification and antibiotic sensitivities).
* Trim histopathology specimens and perform decalcification as tissues require.
* Perform histopathology processing, embedding, sectioning and (manual) staining.
* Perform haematology analysis (to include running haematology analyser, prepare blood films, perform manual white cell differentials, manual platelet counts, reticulocyte counts).
* Perform coagulation tests - primarily PT and aPTT using a manual method.
* Perform biochemistry analysis (use of automated analyser and preparation/dilution of samples) - minor component.
* Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and cleaning; negotiating and maintaining service contracts on equipment; slide filing; keeping the laboratory areas clean and tidy.
* Assist with ordering and managing inventory of laboratory consumables.
* Answer technical telephone enquiries and phone veterinarians/reception staff if there are any technical queries regarding the samples submitted.
* Provision of supplies to customers.
* Operation of Company database to include inputting sample descriptions, patient/client details and checking/sending results to clients.
* Assist with laboratory or clerical duties as directed to assist with the smooth operation of the business.
* The job description will be reviewed periodically in conjunction with the post holder to make sure it reflects the changing needs of the role.
* Accomplished scientist with minimum of an MSc or equivalent (and preferably PhD) qualification in relevant discipline.
* Experience of GLP or equivalent working requirements and preferably proven work experience in a GLP or equivalent facility.
* Experience of mammalian cell culture work.
* Proven experience in working with laboratory staff at all levels.
* Experience in providing general administrative or other support.
* Knowledge of/experience in the diagnostic pathology industry and/or veterinary industry.
* Experience in one or more of the above disciplines particularly diagnostic microbiology and/or histopathology).
* Ability to work independently on own initiative and also to contribute as part of a small team.
* Willingness and ability to be flexible.
* Ability to get on with a wide variety of people.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills, by written letter, email, telephone and face to face.
* Strong presenter who is able to deliver technical data summaries as well as high level explanations designed to support strategic decisions to a senior audience.
* Computer literate, including the use of email, Microsoft Office Software and other software.
* Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with the ability to be flexible and adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and to deliver results to meet project timelines.
* Ability to understand and follow procedures and processes.
* Display a can-do, flexible and positive attitude.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: Reed Scientific
- Reference: 80198
- Posted: 25th January 2019
- Expires: 22nd February 2019