Senior Scientist, Electrochemistry
Salary Range: £32,500 - £37,000
Based in London and Hertfordshire
My client is a UK based commercially focused consultancy, which addresses technical problems from industry utilising world class technology and expertise. They provide experienced project management and client facing business development to ensure projects are run on time and to budget. They have strong relationships with and a rapidly expanding portfolio of clients from a variety of sectors; these include biotechnology, defence, electronics, pharmaceutical, med-tech and cleantech. My client has a strong internal technology and product development program and are the first consultancy in Europe to focus on the increasingly important intersection between bio and nanotechnology.
We are looking to hire a full-time Scientist to work wthin Electrochemical Sensors, as part of a Consulting team working on a collaborative technology development project. The post-holder will report to a Project Manager and will join a highly motivated group working to develop an innovative sensor for measuring asparagine levels following recent EU regulations requiring food companies to reduce the levels of acrylamide in their products.
The successful applicant will have a strong background in chemical sensors and ideally with experience in electrochemical sensors. Industrial research and development experience or conducting translational academic research would be beneficial.
The role requires use of a candidate's own initiative to ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within the scope and in required quality. Confidence in working in a busy, business-focused environment with highly-skilled and motivated individuals, coupled with the ability to handle pressure on occasions is essential.
The appointment will start as soon as possible and will be for a period of 12 months in the first instance with a possibility of an extension by a further 12 months.
Duties and Responsibilities
* This is primarily a laboratory based position requiring design, fabrication and characterisation of electrochemical sensors
* Take initiative in the planning of the work, in collaboration with the project manager and collaborators
* Identify and develop suitable techniques for the collection and analysis of data relevant to the project aims
* Ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
* Work with and manage project subcontractors
* Work effectively with the project team including planning and conducting electrical measurements with the project Electrical Engineer
Travel, as required, for meetings with collaborators, to attend conferences, and project progress meetings
* Present findings both internally and at conferences
* Contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to peer reviewed journals and patent applications
* Comply with relevant policies, including Financial Regulations, Equal Opportunities Policy, Promoting Race Equality Policy, Health and Safety Policy, Information Systems Security Policy and
* Intellectual Property Rights and Register of Interests Policies
Skills and Experience Required
* MSc or PhD in Electrochemistry, Electrochemical Sensors or a related subject.
* Research experience in electrochemical sensor design, fabrication and characterisation
* Ideally applicants will have experience in nanomaterial based gas sensors, nanomaterial synthesis and working with enzymes, but these are not essential.
* Ideally applicants will have experience in electrochemical simulation and advanced electrochemical analysis
* Ideally experience of preparing and publishing scientific papers in relevant, high-impact, refereed journals (including as first author)
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Ability to organise work on own initiative and prioritise own work in response to deadlines
* Computer skills, including data analysis, spreadsheets, word-processing, reference databases
You'll need the willingness to travel both within the United Kingdom and abroad to conduct research, attend conferences, and meet with project collaborators/sponsors.
Please apply online or call Neil Walton on 02030964706
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Reference: J30044
- Posted: 11th January 2019
- Expires: 8th February 2019