Salary guide: £16500
We are looking for a Microscopist to work within the Microscopy Section, principally on client contracts dealing mainly with the identification of foreign bodies reported from food, but with some work in the other areas.
The post will involve the use of a wide range of microscopy and micro-analytical techniques including light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray microanalysis and FT-IR spectroscopy.
The person appointed will be expected to work both on their own and as part of a team, taking responsibility for the identification of individual foreign body samples and preparing a report on each sample. The post-holder would also be expected to deputise when necessary for the Microscopy Section Administrative Assistant, involving booking-in of samples, sending off reports and preparation of invoices.
The post, which is available immediately, would suit a candidate with an investigative frame of mind and an interest in the imaginative application of analytical techniques. Experience of microscopy techniques and a basic understanding of quality control procedures would be useful.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* To undertake microscopic investigations of glass fragments and other foreign bodies, food packaging and food structure and other materials using light and scanning electron microscopy, X-ray microanalysis and FT-IR analysis after appropriate training, and carry out other technical operations in accordance with the position as instructed.
* Interpret analytical data.
* Prepare technical reports on foreign body identification and other samples for food industry clients.
* When required, to book in samples and send out reports
* To work in a safe manner in accordance with departmental policies.
* To keep neat and orderly records of results and other relevant information.
Qualifications and Competencies
* Science degree and a broad scientific background
* Good with scientific equipment in general
* Specific microscopy experience desirable, but not essential
* Investigative, problem-solving turn of mind.
* Ability to work on own or as part of a small team
* Ability to work well under pressure.
* Ability to write clear, concise reports for non-scientific clients
* Organised, methodical approach to work
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Posted: 15th September 2017
- Expires: 13th October 2017
- Reference: J23604