Title Molecular biology technician
The company provide scientific, technical and legislative support to the food, drinks and allied industries worldwide and are known for their application of technical excellence with industry leading facilities, expert knowledge and knowledge. Great opportunity if you want to work in the food industry.
Benefits: Based in Gloucestershire in the beautiful Cotswolds the company offer excellent training, 24 days holiday (and a holiday exchange scheme), Pension scheme, health scheme and death in service scheme, free on-site parking and a subsidised canteen
Role / Description
* To provide technical support to the area of molecular and cultural analysis of food microflora through the extraction and analysis of nucleic acids.
* To maintain laboratory documentation and records to allow full traceability of sample receipt, quality of media used, suitability of equipment for the tests and accurate recording of results.
* To carry out scheduled calibration checks and laboratory monitoring tasks to achieve compliance with the requirements of the quality system.
* Practical work on research and contract studies including sample receipt, sample preparation, DNA extraction, PCR and quality checks.
Qualifications and Competencies
* Skills gained in a similar role would be an advantage.
* A good standard of general education and in particular a keen interest in science.
* Computer literate
* Ability to work within the requirements of recognised quality systems e.g. UKAS. ISO 9000.
* Competent in handling numerical tasks
* Holds a valid UK driving licence
* Good Scientific qualifications with an ability to understand and apply scientific techniques and principles.
* Preferably with a basic to good knowledge of microbiology and an aptitude to learn the following techniques after suitable training:
* Sample preparation
* DNA Extraction
* RNA extraction
* Use of standard molecular biology equipment
* General food spoilage and food safety research
* Sample receipt and preparation for culture - independent analysis
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV For more information regarding this position or any others, please call James on 0121 222 5327
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srg.co.uk to view our other vacancies
Keywords: Microbiology, Molecular biology, PCR, DNA
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. Learn more
- Agency: SRG
- Posted: 28th July 2017
- Expires: 25th August 2017
- Reference: J22956