WARNING: Avoid Stretching the Truth on Your CV
Posted by Lorna Crombie at CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
You can get yourself into real trouble if you make the decision to stretch the truth on your CV, in fact; recently an NHS worker was jailed for doing just that.
Here are a few tips to help you ensure your CV is up to scratch:
• Write your CV with a specific audience in mind.
• Open your CV with a short but sweet profile of yourself. Make sure you honestly highlight your skills and experience in relation to the science job you are applying fo.
• Have more than one CV. No science job is the same, so make sure you tailor your CV to each job in science that your apply for.
• Send your CV out with a cover letter. In this letter, clearly flag up for key competencies and experiences, making it obvious to the scientific recruiter or company that you are the best person for the job.
• Keep your CV focused and relevant. Ideally stick to covering your last five years of experience within the scientific industry. If you have gaps in your career history, make sure you explain this without embellishing the truth.
• If you claim to be a team player or a good communicator for example, back it up with a solid example.
• Work lots of keywords into your CV. With so much recruiting done electronically these days by highlighting your job titles, skills, experience and qualifications, this will increase your chances of getting found.
Looking for a new job in science? Click here to search our current scientific job vacancies.
Found this careers advice useful? Please see below for more help and advice for jobseekers in the scientific industry from CK Science:
- Chemistry Industry Interview Tips
- 13 Ways to Make a Good First Impression
- CV Writing Tips
- Dress to Impress At Your Interview
- Interview Preparation
- Linkedin Profile Tips
- Presentation tips
- Technology Industry Interview Advice
- Telephone Interview Tips
- Using a Scientific Recruitment Agency
Find out more from CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
About CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
The CK Group provides a specialist recruitment service to a spectrum of scientific, clinical, engineering and technical disciplines ranging
The Bridge Business Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1246 457700
Need help with your CV? Get a free CV review