How to Pull off that Telephone Interview without a Hitch
Posted by Lorna Crombie at CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
Here are a few tips to help you pull off that telephone interview without a hitch:
- Remember, first impressions are everything, so be prepared.
- Find out as much as you can about the scientific company.
- Note down any questions about the science job you would like to ask.
- Prepare brief answers to the standard questions you are likely to be asked, such as:
- Tell me about yourself
- What do you know about our company?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Why do you want this job?
- Clear the room so you have no distractions. That means no kids or pets and no TV or music in the background. Ask anyone who might interrupt to respect your privacy and then shut the door.
- Use a land-line phone.
- While you are on the phone, keep your CV in front of you.
- Have a pen and paper handy for note taking as these will help you prepare for your face-to-face interview.
- Have your diary handy in case you need to schedule a face-to-face interview.
- Be polite, calm and don"t waffle.
- Smile! It will make you feel more relaxed and confident and the interviewer will hear that in your voice.
- Don"t smoke, eat or drink during the call.
- Stand up − it will make you feel more alert.
- Use the interviewer"s name occasionally throughout the interview, but don"t overdo it.
- Listen carefully. If you mishear what is being said, politely ask the interviewer to repeat the question.
- Sound interested and energetic.
- At the end of the interview, thank the interviewer for their time and reiterate your interest in the opportunity.
Here at CK Science, we are committed to helping our candidates get their dream jobs in science. To improve your chances, we have produced a series of resources to help you along the way:
Find out more from CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
About CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
The CK Group provides a specialist recruitment service to a spectrum of scientific, clinical, engineering and technical disciplines ranging
The Bridge Business Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1246 457700
Need help with your CV? Get a free CV review