Can volunteering boost your career in science?
Posted by Lorna Crombie at CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
Volunteering helps you expand your network:
When you're volunteering, you never know who you are going to meet. It is more than likely that your fellow volunteers are driven, well-connected and highly conscientious − and thus could be great referrals during your job hunt and in your long term career.
Volunteering can help perfect your skills:
Volunteering is a great way to practice your skills and learn new ones. As a volunteer, you will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things (e.g. management skills, problem solving, brain storming, conflict resolution) which will then help you challenge and re-think your current approach.
Volunteering can help you test the water:
Volunteering in your preferred scientific sector is the perfect (and risk free way) to test out your skills in that environment. This will help you decide whether this is the career path you want to follow in the long term.
Volunteering can give you the competitive edge:
In this economic climate, employers want the best of the bunch and there are a number of ways that volunteering can help you demonstrate that you are exactly that:
- Volunteering shows you are open to new experiences and challenges
- It shows you are not scared to take initiative
- It shows that you are able to work collaboratively towards a common goal
To search for a volunteering job, visit the Do-It Volunteering Made Easy website now.
More careers advice from CK Science:
- 14 Signs Your Interview Went Well
- 25 Interview Mistakes
- Assessment Centre Tips
- Before and during your interview
- Chemistry Industry Interview Tips
- Dress to Impress At Your Interview
- How to Take Control in Your Interview
- Interview Preparation
- Planning the journey to your interview
- Questions You Should & Shouldn't Ask Your Interviewer
- Technology Industry Interview Advice
- Telephone Interview Tips
- The STAR Interview Technique
- 13 Ways to Make a Good First Impression
- CV Writing Tips
- How to apply for the RIGHT roles for you...
- How to get the most out of your recruitment agency
- Online Job Hunting Blunders
- Using a Scientific Recruitment Agency
Find out more from CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
About CK Group (Science, Clinical, Engineers and IT Recruitment)
The CK Group provides a specialist recruitment service to a spectrum of scientific, clinical, engineering and technical disciplines ranging
The Bridge Business Centre
Phone: +44 (0)1246 457700
Need help with your CV? Get a free CV review